2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11839

Solid mounts are of NO interest to me. I am with Tim on this one. I have run a Spec car for 6 years with the same mounts that I initially installed when I first built the car. They are still working well too. Fixing oil leaks can help keep your mounts (and Motor ) working correctly for a longer period of time...

Short shifters burn up syncros too. The PO of my Tacoma had one and it toasted the trans. Furthermore, if they made such a big difference with no down side (except for cost) the factory would have installed them or had them as an Option.
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11873

• KLR
I'll weigh in with two ideas.

I'm in agreement that we should not permit solid trans and motor mounts. It adds cost if you want to build to the limit of the rules and I don't see a huge benefit to the series. However, I would see some benefit to specifically stating that adding 3M Windo Weld or another urethane product to the stock late tranny mount is permitted. I don't think that there is a tangible performance benefit to this (i.e., people who don't do it won't be at a loss). However, permitting this modification has 2 benefits:

1. It spares people from ever having to buy a brand new tranny mount (which now lists for $254 at Pelican!) -- any used mount can be made serviceable for $15-30.

2. It provides some additional protection for CV joints. This mod has been commonly performed on turbos to protect the D/S inner joint from failing. I can attest from my nationals experience with CV joint failures due to defective axles that the left inner on our spec cars gets about twice the pounding of the others. Given the challenges that we are seeing in some areas with CV joint life (new Loebro axles failing, rebuilt axles from Autozone and Rennbay failing), anything that helps CV joint life is a plus in my book.

The second idea I would suggest is also minor, but we might consider stating that Turbo valve springs are permitted. They are ~$80/set cheaper than NA valve springs, at $75/set. I don't believe that there is a performance advantage to using the turbo springs. As the cars age, reusing the 24+ year old valve springs seems unwise to me. However, spending $155 on new valve springs is pretty pricey and I can see why people choose to keep reusing the old ones. Allowing the Turbo valve springs would make this an easier choice, add reliability to the cars, and reduce costs. I don't see much downside.

Neal Agran
Midwest Series Director
Neal Agran
Midwest Region 944 Spec Series Director

National championships: 2nd 2013, 3rd 2011

25 Hours of Thunderhill: 2nd E3 class 2011

Midwest Region Champion 2013 and 2014
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by KLR.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11876

Thanks Neal. We do see CV joint, and valve spring failures. The valve spring issue was brought up last year, but we'll look at it again with the numbers you put out there.

I'd like to throw two things out there:

1) The stock plastic ducting to the radiator may be replicated, so long as it serves no other purpose.

-Many of the 25+ year old plastic parts are broken, or missing, and proper ducting of the radiator is critical to adequate cooling. I'd even go so far as to make this an advisory.

2) I'd like to see the section below clarified specifying normally aspirated 8V motors. We all know the intent, but I don't want to give any room to justify the us of turbo componenents, unless specifically allowed.

11.1 General
All rules related to engines are intended to ensure parity in horsepower between cars. All
engines, components, and parts must have been offered for sale in a Porsche 944 from
model years 1983-1988 with 2.5 liter eight valve engines only, sold by a dealer in the United
States of America. All engines and their internal components must remain stock, except as
provided by these rules, and within factory specified tolerances. Engine blocks, crankshafts,
pistons, connecting rods, camshaft, head casting and cam tower casting must be the original
Porsche factory part or genuine Porsche OE replacements. Cars may be updated and
backdated with parts from the Porsche 944 and 924S from model years 1983-1988 with 2.5-
liter eight-valve engines only.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 5 months ago #12036

Guys, we havn't forgotton about this. There's a lot going on behind the scenes about these issues, and also, other long range problems - options related to parts availability, etc. I'll post more when we have put together a proposal/plan.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 5 months ago #12037

Just a few follow up questions on Neal's email.
What is the performance advantage of the solid mounts?
For comparison purposes, how much do they cost?
What is the typical life of the stock mounts i.e. how many seasons can I expect to get out of the stock mounts vs. the solid ones?

What is the cost of performing the modification proposed by Neal if a mechanic does it?

Thanks.
-Shannon
Rothmans 944(pictured) is For Sale
Red 944 no. 16, 944 Spec Great Lakes
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds