Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 7 months ago #16651

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I just wanted to add a thought and then I'll hold my tongue. It seems to me that none of these rule changes are to address glaring deficiencies with our cars or huge disparities in performance. These all seem to be geared towards making them faster, better handling pure racers. The cars as is are reliable and fun at an affordable level.

This seems to me to be a classic case of rules creep, a little here, a little there. Soon we will be too far gone from the original intent. I think every rule proposal should be met with great skepticism and should face a big burden of proof to show it's needed or be dismissed out of hand. The car I raced last year is still very good and viable. It doesn't need anymore to be fun, safe and reliable.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 7 months ago #16652

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Hi Ron, thank you for your input.
You should chime in anytime you think it is needed.
I want to clarify a couple of things since you seem to believe that all of these rules are only to make the cars faster.
My take on the counter balance belt rule is to only make the low compression cars faster and competitive with the high compression cars.
The same goes for the Woodruff key rule. It should only be allowed for LC engines to correct the cam timing to help equalize the HP.
As you know I am generally opposed to rules creep.
It would be the death bell of the class if we tried to make every one reduce HP to match the lowest car.
There is no other lower cost class than 944spec. We have the best set of rules by far in comparison to the other spec classes.
As much as I would like to go faster it is not the right choice for this class. But it is also not feasable to expect current drivers to make their cars go slower when others are not willing to bring their cars up to the current allowed rules.
That being said, the driver is the single biggest improvement you can make to your car. I encourage all drivers to get help from fellow drivers, read racing books, seek a professional driving coach or be satisfied with where you are as a driver. If you are not constantly trying to be a better driver every single lap you are selling your self short. It takes lots of years of hard work to get to the front of the pack. I am 16 years in on my quest to be a great amature driver. I figure it will take 16 more
My car has no special tuning done to it. Yes I have a state of the art digital dash with data aquisition. But it is also over weight, has worn suspension bushings, an avaerage motor and it needs syncros in the gear box. Not to mention the paint is now trashed after Nationals.
The point is that the fast drivers are fast in any car. Be a fast driver first then put money in the car.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 7 months ago #16653

Ron, I'll mention a few things here, and then I'd like to talk to you on the phone as well. email me at eric dot kuhns at gmail dot com and we'll exchange phone numbers.

I posted up almost all the rules change requests asked for this year, but that does not mean we are looking to make them happen. It takes more than a simple forum majority vote to push these things through. The burdon of proof or need definitely needs to be met to get the rule through, or a specific issues that needs to be met.

If you have a rule that you think would address your concerns, it is not too late to post it up (though it is getting close!).
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 7 months ago #16654

Added 10/16/13 (as requested by Rob):

12a. Limit ram air ducting to bumper turn signal hole - or-
12b. No ducting to air filter element outside of OEM configuration. May use open element air filter within the engine compartment

Pro:
Fixes disparity between 924S and 944 cars in regards to air duct routing
Eliminates a method to increase HP that is unregulated
May decrease debris and water ingestion

Con:
Requires change to large installed base of cars
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 7 months ago #16656

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
12 A/B No Changes. I dont see this as broken. It is an easy mod to accomplish with minimal tools. The majority has already done this mod and to require a large portion of the group to make a change for just a few is unreasonable.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 7 months ago #16682

Last two additions for this year are below. We'll leave this open for discussion for one more week, and then move to finalize things. Thanks for all the input guys.
---------------
13. Allow use of Lexan for rear side windows.

Pro:
-Allows easy adoption of NACA ducts for driver cooling
-Inexpensive

Con:
-Other ways & places to put ducts
-Encourages a large amount of cars to spend some money
-One step further away from OEM

14. Removal of spare tire well for all cars

Pro:
-Allows early cars the same easier transmission access as late cars.
-Helps get cars to minimum weight.

Con:
- Possible aero benefit from earlier smaller tank have this removed (previous speculation, no data on this)
-Encourages more cutting on cars (and around fuel tank)
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds