Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Change 3/4 car width rule to full car width?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Change 3/4 car width rule to full car width?

Re: Change 3/4 car width rule to full car width? 9 years, 5 months ago #18673

• tcomeau
Bump. Let's freshen this idea guys.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: Change 3/4 car width rule to full car width? 9 years, 5 months ago #18694

• Timwold
  • Senior Racer
I agree with changing the rule to 1 car width. At 3/4th of a car it seems to imply you can track out and run a competitor off the racing surface.
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Change 3/4 car width rule to full car width? 9 years, 5 months ago #18695

• tcomeau
We need to control the amount of contact and punish those who make contact.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: Change 3/4 car width rule to full car width? 9 years, 5 months ago #18696

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
This is only effective if it is a NASA wide change. Otherwise we end up with one set of rules for us and a different set for the other classes in our run group.

I'm not in favor of rules that affect only us on the track - class rules for the cars is one thing.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Change 3/4 car width rule to full car width? 9 years, 5 months ago #18697

There are lots of NASA rules that are class-specif and modify a general CCR rule. For example, Section 2 of the GTS rules is labled "GTS-specific rules." The first rule addressed under paragraph 2.1 is "Modified 13/13 rule" and reads "GTS reserves the right to administer penalties on a regional level above and beyond those outlined in NASA's CCR."

The second rule addressed, under paragraph 2.2, is "Modified "racing room" definition" which consists entirely of one paragraph that reads "In the NASA CCR, under section 25.4.2 "Punting," the rules define "racing room" as: "at least three-quarters of one car width." For racing between two or more GTS cars, "racing room" is hereby defined as: "at least one car width plus 6 inches."

So, as you can see, the class is free to adopt rules specific to that class, and I think this rule is one that should be adopted. There have been numerous instances where this rule has been used to blatantly force other cars to go 2 wheels off or to justify contact, and there's no reason we have can't address it. I also know for a fact this rule is one of the reasons cited by racers from groups like SCCA/PCA/POC as the main reason they won't race with NASA and it is a change I would dearly love to see NASA make.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion

Re: Change 3/4 car width rule to full car width? 9 years, 5 months ago #18698

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Steve - I like that approach of limiting the rule change between in class cars. I'd just be worried when the other classes ran by their rules and our drivers by our rules.

(I had the same concern when GTS started running their modified contact rules)

(Edited - Oh and I'd love to see the rule change NASA wide)
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Last Edit: 9 years, 5 months ago by JerryW.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds