Username Password: Remember me

Lexan windshield?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Lexan windshield?

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 9 months ago #5076

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
I just replaced my windshield for 215 dollars including install through elite. Thats much cheaper than it would cost for any of my other vehicles.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 9 months ago #5092

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I pulle out a cracked windshield and weighed it. It weighed 22 lbs and change. I don't remember the exact change.

A 1/4 inch lexan, formed windshield weighs "about" 12 lbs. I say "about" because Pro Glass doesn't have a 944 one so they weighed a 914 one that they had and were installing.

There is about a 10 pound difference. Is that a competitive advantage on a 2,600 pound car? If so, how is a fair way to adjust for that?

I believe this should be allowed as an option. The reason is cost. I race in Arizona and have cracked windshields EVERY season. Joe, you are magic to have has such good luck. Many others in Arizona have also had repeated windshield issues. You may want to poll the rest of the guys. I have had a new one get cracked within 2 events. My last one only lasted one full event before it was hit and it was a $345 one that was done at a track so I could keep racing.

I am sure that some regions will have fewer problems with this because of the track conditions. In So. Cal. (Willow Springs and Buttonwillow) rocks abound and get dragged onto the track during just about every session. Arizona is bad for this as well. PIR and Firebird are both bad about gravel and rocks getting onto the track (turn 6 at PIR).

To me, this is an issue of long term cost versus short term cost. Joe, just because you don't want a lexan windshield under any conditions doesn't mean that it is not a good idea to allow those who want to try them to be able to do so.

Guys, I believe that our major rule set is great and I don't want to change it just to change it. I don't want to see big changes or "creaping" changes either. What I do want to do is recognize areas that are "non competitive" and are cost savers (or potentially cost savers) and allow them. We all know that we will need to allow after market valences at some point because original ones are getting harder to get. So what? Right now we can't replace cylinder walls in our engines to repair a block. As things get harder to fine in the future, we may need to allow that and get a supplier to make them and pistons to keep us racing. They should not provide a "performance advantage" and if they don't, they should be allowed.

Even if a particular proposal is not important to you personally, why oppose it if it is helpful to others in our series. The windshield issue is exactly that kind of an issue. You may not have any problems with broken glass but why not support a solution for those of us that have the problem as long as it is not a competetive advantage.

This applies to heating issues as well. I saw several posts about how our cars shouldn't have heating problems so we don't need to make any changes in radiator rules.

Nonsense!

If some of the guys in the RM region are having problems, or guys in Arizona or So. Cal, why not allow for larger radiators if someone wants one? It is not a performance issue and may save equipment and may even be less expensive. If anythig, a larger radiator may be a performance disadvantage by allowing more air through and creating more drag for the car. Again, SO WHAT!

Lets all pull together to help fine tune the rules to help all of us save money and/or improve our reliability and keep racing. Take a positive approach to a suggestion and get behind any that are not performance issues even if not important to you personally. Otherwise, if you have some issue, others may oppose your concern without thought for your situation.

My rant for the day.

See you all at Miller.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 9 months ago #5104

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Looks to me like the wind sheild is cheaper to replace in some regions.

I have not looked locally but I am going to replece mine before Miller. i plan to add the tear off material that I posted above.

Will let you know how that turns out.

I have said this before and will continue to say it again.

I am against any new rules.I don't see them as broken or unfair at this time. Just my opinion.

Charlie
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 9 months ago #5106

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Checked with a local installer and was quoted $277 installed. I could buy the glass only for $156.

I did not shop around, I just happened to be near there today and stopped in to check.

Glass was in stock and available next day.

I don't see a problem here.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 9 months ago #5107

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Charlie, I appreciate your point. Perhaps the point you are missing is that many of us have replaced 2, 3, 4 or MORE windshields for various reasons.

I have replaced 3 so far with this car and need to replace the current one for a total of 4.

At $275 each, that is $1,100 in windshields in 3 plus years of racing my 944.

I would like to try a lexan one, add the weight where ever Joe says to add it, and try it out under his supervision to test whether it is more durable and how it does with scratching and hazing. If it turns out to be LESS expensive for those of us that have had multiple windshield replacements AND is not a performance advantage, why would you care?

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 9 months ago #5108

Jim,
You don't need to sound so desperate.

We last rulled on Lexan 3-4 years ago. We did not change it due to rules freeze for the past 3 years. 2010 is open and up for dicussion.

There are pros and cons to Lexan. I am not against it on strong grounds. I can see arguements both ways, but I simply have not put that much thought into it this time around. I posted my good experience with glass and something I found on current pricing. Consider this as more data. I have been mentally busy with other things to really worry about this yet.

After National will be a time to look and consider the implications. In general any change we make to the rules should have pretty good reason behind it. So it will be case of needing to convice why it is good and will do no harm.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years, 9 months ago by joepaluch.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds