Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Lexan windshield?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Lexan windshield?

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 11 months ago #4733

We need to establish how big of an issue broken glass windshields are before we can debate on wether Lexan is worth it. Ken, maybe a poll?

FWIW, I have not seen any broken windshields in the MW, excepting when I put my car on it's roof (hatch glass was intact !!)
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 11 months ago #4736

I can tell you that broken windshields are all too common in AZ. I have gone through three in two years. As far as Charlie's concern about "got to have to win" syndrome, as long as the car required to have a spec weight I don't see how lexan would give a competitive advantage except for where the weight is on the car.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 11 months ago #4738

• Big Dog
  • Banned
If the cost of Lexan is $400 plus a tearoff at $80 for a total of $500. It is a no brainer.

LEXAN

Now, this windshield issue many not be a big deal for Sterling Doc and others in some regions, however, I am looking at needing my fourth or fifth (I have lost count). I race at Willow Springs (tons of rocks), PIR (way too many rocks), Firebird (again, tons of rocks) and some others that rocks are an issue. Dave Hauck had a new one crack the first weekend. Steve just posted his windshield woes. I have had them get cracked within two events. Now, I did not replace it till it got bad but a cracked windshield is a safety issue.

PCA will not allow a car to run with a cracked windshield because of the safety issue.

Sorry Charlie, but here is an issue where spending $175 more for a lexan windshield would likely save me much more than that during the course of a year of racing. We are trying to get lower cost racing while maintaining equal racing.

On the cost (and safety?) issue, Lexan should be a legal option for us.

On the performance issue, there is still a question on weight that needs to be addressed. The weight issue, Steve, is that the weight of the windshield is up high and removing weight there is an advantage (however slight). I will check the weight of glass and lexan and post the results. If the lexan is appreciably lighter, the rule change could require ballast to be mounted on the roll hoop above the windshield to remove any possible competitive advantage. This would be simple to administer in tech and we all have access to each others cars.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 11 months ago #4741

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Something to consider is adding two tearoffs to a new glass windshield.
I was planning on doing this when I replace my cracked windshield (Willow Springs).

My biggest issue with new rules is that it opens the door for new rules every year. Then new rules for a separate region. Once a pattern is set it continues.

I have seen it ruin good spec classes like Pro7 in So-Cal SCCA.

NASA does have an advantage since rules are national and not regional.

The only two spec classes I have seen survive so far is Spec Ford Racer (SCCA) and Spec Miata. Both of those classes have survived because of a rules lock down. Very little has changed since the inception of both of these classes.

It is a program we should follow.

Charlie Buzzetti
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 11 months ago #4742

Don't get me wrong, I feel this is a legitimate issue & question. Though this is not an issue locally, it may be the right decision for the class if it is widespread elsewhere. So far there are a few making a strong case for this. What about the other AZ/California guys?

Charlie, we're through a 3 year rules freeze, and will freeze them again. We are a conservative, but not inflexible bunch of directors. Speaking of SM's, how are they doing with their glass?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 14 years, 11 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Lexan windshield? 14 years, 11 months ago #4743

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Not sure how many of the So-Cal guys are on here. I know that most of the POC crew does not visit here. There is about 15 of them.

If you race at Willow Springs you have a chipped or cracked windshield.

Not sure if Tim C comes here but he rents cars so he could have some good info on this.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion