Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

help to become a Texas 944 Spec driver
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: help to become a Texas 944 Spec driver

Re: help to become a Texas 944 Spec driver 11 years, 10 months ago #13412

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
It's not going to hurt to get familiar with the car and work out any kinks or issues, but if you have another vehicle that gets you the track time and experience to progress through HPDE, then either one will get you to your desired result of a comp license.

See you on the track.

Ryan
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.

Re: help to become a Texas 944 Spec driver 11 years, 10 months ago #13413

Understood. Ive signed up for a half day HPDE next week using a spec miata, I plan on keeping my 86 NA 944 stock for the ES autocross and maybe a few PCA DEs. Ill need to sell the 86 first if I decide to make the jump into a racer. Im also planning on the HPDE at Eagle Canyon.

Ive done a lot of research on the forums and 44 cup classifieds. Seems to be a lot of good cars I could get into but the majority are pretty far away. I really don't need a car hauler for my current 944. So the race cars prices may be right but there would be a lot of added expenses (trailer, shipping, etc) Im not interested in yet. If y'all know of a good, local Texas car that becomes available let me know.

Again thank you all for the info, Drew.

Re: help to become a Texas 944 Spec driver 11 years, 9 months ago #13422

So is Harris Hill in San Marcos a legit pace to cut your teeth on to eventually get a NASA comp licence?

Re: help to become a Texas 944 Spec driver 11 years, 9 months ago #13425

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Any track time is better than no track time. Biggest thing everyone learns quickly is that there is no replacement for seat time no matter where you're at. However, we don't currently race at Harris Hill, so any time spent there right now shouldn't be done worrying about making the car faster, but rather making the driver more comfortable on track. I would say prioritize the tracks we do race on to the top of the list when signing up for HPDEs, but if you have the time and opportunity, don't pass up Harris Hill especially if its a good deal.

Keep doing DEs in your AutoX car. If you are truly motivated to go W2W racing, you don't want to waste time trying to sell it then get a racer. At your first couple of events, you shouldn't be able to realize the difference in performance since you'll be well slower than the race pace we keep in class.

One more hint, try talking to SVO Chuck about whats for sale in the RM region. We get a lot of traffic between Texas and Rocky Mountain since they are both run by the same people. This could lead to a transporter coming down here from Colorado with extra space that could bring a car down if you found one you like. Last I heard, they still have 3 for sale up there. Just a recommendation.

www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/for-sale-...c-car--cars-for-sale

www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/for-sale-...c-in-a-20-car-field-
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: help to become a Texas 944 Spec driver 11 years, 8 months ago #13619

NM. Answered via email
Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by dfisher42. Reason: Answered via email

Re: help to become a Texas 944 Spec driver 11 years, 6 months ago #13969

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
How is this progressing? You get any track time yet?
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Moderators: Timwold
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds