Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Need some tranny advice
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need some tranny advice

Need some tranny advice 15 years ago #4103

Hi guys,

I ran at FIR this weekend with SCCA and during morning practice on Sunday I lost 3rd gear in the new tranny some chiseler sold me as low mileage. I won't mention the name of who that was but it rhymes with Borbach.(Just kiddin' Cliffie). Anyway, I came out of the tower turn and shifted from second to third and the motor just freewheeled. I pulled it into neutral and putt then tried to put it back in third and it freewheeled again. I put it into 4th and motored down the front straight for a while and then tried third again and it went in and then popped right back out. After that there just wasn't anything there.

A guy at the track that builds a lot of spec cars had a spare tranny with a short fifth and a welded diff that he not only sold me at a very reasonable price, he helped me swap it into to my car in time for me to make the race. I have to say that I really struggled with driving with the open diff compared to my LSD, but my main question is what to do with my old tranny. It has a factory LSD and a short fifth, but don't know if I should: A. Just sell the fifth and LSD B. Pull the welded diff and put in the LSD C. Have the tranny with the LSD rebuilt and keep the tranny with the welded diff for a spare, or D. None of the above. Obviously I don't know how bad the LSD tranny is other than the obvious problem with third gear, so I would appreciate some advice about how to proceed. All opinions are welcome.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion
Last Edit: 15 years ago by spec944#74.

Re:Need some tranny advice 15 years ago #4104

Actually I think you 3rd gear synco may by worn out.

Well as it stands now that old box is good for a 5th gear pair and probably an LSD. There is a chance the LSD got damaged, but probably not.

So you can sell the thing complete as is. That is the easist thing and will re-coup some money for one you bought.

Or you can open it and assess the damage and determine where to go next.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Need some tranny advice 15 years ago #4106

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Is it legal to run a welded diff?

Re:Need some tranny advice 15 years ago #4107

944cer wrote:
Is it legal to run a welded diff?

Yes... poor man's LSD.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Need some tranny advice 15 years ago #4108

Steve,

I need an LSD and a short fifth.

Disclaimer: the emoticoms mean "pretty please" and are not in any way meant to imply that I'm in the mood to find a "quite place" with you. That said...I really do need the combo, and have really not decided how far I will go to get them.
512 707-8869

Re:Need some tranny advice 15 years ago #4130

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Joe Stubblefield welded up trans for me and for others in SCCA. I know of several that broke the welds and trashed the gears completely. Mine did.

Apparently, Joe didn't/doesn't know how to weld. After going to an LSD, there is not much good to be said for a welded dif. And, if Joe S.did the welding, it may only be a matter of time before the welds break and destroy the entire trans.

I would have someone swap parts so you have a good LSD trans and call it good.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, norman#99
Banner
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds