Contact Video thread deleted...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Contact Video thread deleted...

Contact Video thread deleted... 14 years, 6 months ago #5860

Guys,
I deleted contact video thread.

Here is why...

Contact situations like this are pending discussion and evalution by series officials. I had requested that the following car create the video to for the reasons helping determine what happend, not for general posting.

I do not feel it is appropriate to post the video for discussion. Sure there is something to be learned, but the decisions made are not up for debate and will never be swayed by racer opinion. The only way videos can be posted like this is with the consent of both drivers in the situation and after the Incident Review board has had time make ruling. Even then ruling is the ruling. Using these public boards as a way to "counter" the actual ruling by the officials is considered bad form. Not saying that this was the case here, but i know both drivers did no ok the posting of it.

Tage has also stated that what happens at the track stays at the track. This no different.

For those that missed the original post I will summarize for learning purposes only as I do feel there is a learning aspect to this.

A car stalled from the group in front of the 944s stalled during the pace lap (double yellow) before grid formation. The car stalled on the edge of the line, but still on track. A number of cars passed the area which had a waiving yellow without incident. One car as he was passing by slow down very rapidly and unexpectedly while side by side with the stopped car. The following car was unable to slow at the same rate the hit the first car causing some frame damage to the lead car Both cars continued.

The following car was given a penalty and found at fault for failing to control their car under a waiving yellow. Waiving yellows have a STONG requirement for drivers to prepare to stop at any time. This is in the NASA CCR's and the driving factor here.

Now there are some complicated situations surrounding this, but there are two key learnings that we all need to understand that I believe will help us in future races.

1) During a waiving yellow you MUST be prepared for anything. If you hit someone for any reason you will likely be found at fault since the rules put the responsibility clearning the incident on all the following cars. Prepare for the unexpected and back off. Most of do this, but not to the degree expected and required in the rules. If something happens there is a 95% chance the following car gets tagged with fault and some penatly. So take a waiving yellow very seriously.

2) Be predictable. If you do something unexpected you run the risk that some one else will not be ready. The resulting contact could be your fault or the other guy, but either way you have to deal with a damaged car.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Contact Video thread deleted... 14 years, 6 months ago #5864

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
Hal, I'd love to see the video of the rest of the race, we had a great race going on and you pulled a pass or two that were pretty slick, put a smile on my face, even tho I was shouting obscenities at you in my helmet...

hope everyone gets everything back together and back on the track...tough deal all around.

Re:Contact Video thread deleted... 14 years, 6 months ago #5865

• hhdinyuma
  • Comp School
  • Hal Dunn
Jim, I had a great time too. The other stuff is now beyond my control and almost forgotten. See my new post for a link to the video highlights.
83 SPEC 944 #51
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, norman#99
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds