NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/

TOPIC: Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 15 years, 1 month ago #5075

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Joe,

Nice seeing you at the track.
Sorry about your car. Was it a blown head gasket?

I didn't take too many photos yesterday but did catch some of the action with you spewing smoke coming down the Turn 5 bypass.

--Ken
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by pixrken.

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 15 years, 1 month ago #5077

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Oh oh Joe -- was this your 968 motor that went out ?

(Good to see you here -- come visit some time when we were at the track)
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 15 years, 1 month ago #5081

Hey -- great photo! And I'm 99% sure that it's blown headgasket -- all the signs point to it (hot weather, white smoke, feels like I'm running one cylinder out, excessive pressure in the overflow tank, radiator fan operation not quite right). I'm crossing my fingers that I don't find any further damage.

And yep -- it's the 944 with the 968 motor stuffed in it. I was out trying to tighten the loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 15 years, 1 month ago #5085

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
Lots of fun in the heat...even though my fan cut through my radiator hose during my first run! Thanks for letting me drive your car, Ken. Now I know what my car is SUPPOSED to feel like!
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 15 years, 1 month ago #5116

Greetings,

I was the guy with the white Miata in the advanced group. I spoke with one of you fine gentleman who suggested I look into spec racing. I'd like to thank/curse you for planting that idea in my head. I can't stop thinking about it! I had been happy to just do some simple mods to my Miata and keep running HPDE, but now I feel compelled to use what meager funds I have to buy a Spec car, acquire safety equipment, and pursue a racing license.

I'm debating affordable RWD spec cars. I've also had great experiences dealing with the local PCA chapter. I've heard 944 Spec is as cheap or cheaper than Miata or E30.

So, I figured I'd introduce myself and pick your guys' brains.

-Cameron

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 15 years, 1 month ago #5117

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
depends on how fast you want to go. i have heard from spec miata guys that it costs $20K + to build a competitive spec miata. for us spec 944 guys, it is closer to $8-9K. that's about what I have in my championship car, and i also had a race win in Utah last year, our unofficial 944spec 'national' championship. on the maintenance front, both cars are about the same, though one our 944 racers switched from spec miata to spec 944 so that people wouldn't be running into him causing body damage every race. we in porsche world race hard but clean. we also help each other out when anyone has problems working to keep everyone running throughout each race weekend.

Ken Huey is the Norcal spec944 director, i know he is putting together an upcoming event for meet and greet and potentially work on building a 944spec car that will act as a guest/loaner car.

Rick
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds