944 in SoCal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California South Region Website

nasasocal.com/

TOPIC: 944 in SoCal

944 in SoCal 9 years, 4 months ago #19010

• rhart
  • Drivers Ed
I am interested in 944 racing in SoCal and the videos I see show a pretty small field. If I buy a 944 Spec is it possible to race it in other classes during the weekend? If so what would that be? A few years ago I raced a SM in NorCal with 60 plus cars in the field. I'm used to a lot of cars around. Any advice for me.
Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to racing something with more room in the cockpit.
Rick

Re: 944 in SoCal 9 years, 4 months ago #19011

• jivenjim
  • Senior Racer
A Normal group of 7-8 field last year. Ranged 14 at Laguna to 5 at Willow. This is much better than other "racing clubs."
NASA Socal has had lots of other groups dillute the drivers. Choice is usually a good thang but seems be a an issue.

NASA already knows 3+ new 944 racers to Socal this year.
944's great cars.

All you need is a few good turns with 1 close competitor to make your weekend.
The group is tight on and off the field like no other.

try to get a sunroof delete 944 if you are 6"3'+
You can get extension wheel hubs from Momo.
If you use a 16 inch wide seat can fit.
cockpit Cage that rounds out in to door area is really nice for extra room.

Charlie runs I think PTC? in addition to 944spec at some Events.

We also run in 2-3 Enduros as well a year. (and Tag team pit crews are amazing!)

Chuckwalla Feb 7-8 with AZ NASA
Willow springs Feb 28- Mar 1
Sonoma March 14-15
Buttonwillow April 18-19
Autoclub May 16-17
ButtonWillow June 13-14
Laguna Seca July 31-Aug 2
Jim Hicks
Texas Transplant
Last Edit: 9 years, 4 months ago by jivenjim.

Re: 944 in SoCal 9 years, 4 months ago #19012

• rhart
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks for the answer Jim. Are there shops that build 944's around Socal? I was told there is a shop near Buttonwillow called 7's but could not find it with Google. Looking for a car.

Re: 944 in SoCal 9 years, 4 months ago #19013

• reflexr
  • Senior Racer
I second what Jim said. The camaraderie was what sealed it for me. Depending on where you are at, I know of two shops, one in Santa Clarita, R2 Racing, and Tim Comeaus shop in San Diego, I visited yesterday, Comeau Racing Ent. You not find a more supportive, helpful bunch of people. I believe both of those shops either have cars for sale or to rent. I won't be at Chuckwallah, but I should be at WSIR. I am pushing like mad on my build.
Joey Genitempo
NASA SoCal
No. 42
88 944 Spec- Blue Camouflage- retired
84 944 Spec- Green- 42
84 944 Spec- Yellow- 24
87 944 Spec-

Re: 944 in SoCal 9 years, 4 months ago #19014

• rhart
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks Reflexr. I'm in Orange County. I'll give the shops a call. Maybe I'll rent till I build or buy. Seems like there aren't too many for sale right now.

Re: 944 in SoCal 9 years, 4 months ago #19015

• jivenjim
  • Senior Racer
Hey Rick,
If it were me, I'd buy a used built spec racing car.
I've built them and you will miss the season and spend more $ and time/hassle to sort it.
Give Tim a call. Even today, cause 944's is all he does.
Several good cars to Race ready to sell or rent. Shop near Charger Stadium San diego.
comeauracing.com/cre/

Seven's Only is on the Buttonwillow race track grounds. Tom runs shop and they wrech, fabricate, manage and transport for arrive and drive. It is not cheap but nice group.
SoCal Racer Thomas uses them.

R2R in Orange county, are 944 racers and awesome, but they seem to be doing exotics more and may not be price motivated for 944 work.
Jim Hicks
Texas Transplant
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds