(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California South Region Website

nasasocal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: NEW TO FORUM AND 944 TRACK

NEW TO FORUM AND 944 TRACK 6 years, 6 months ago #21861

• BIGGEB
  • Drivers Ed
I'm looking to put a budget together for a 944 track days car? Light city driving on weekends and then track days. My experience is beginner and don't mind doing work myself. Once a budget it set where is a good place to search for a car? Also is it better to buy a modded car or a stock car and do the mods?

Thanks
William

Re: NEW TO FORUM AND 944 TRACK 6 years, 6 months ago #21862

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Welcome!

I cant speak to what cars are available out there in California, but I can help with your other questions. Generally it is always cheaper to buy a built car over building yourself. Some love the process of building, so I understand why you might want to do that. There are still some cars that drive to the track and then race, so that is possible under our current rules.

If you are looking for a street car, look for one that is basically stock and currently running. Interior doesn't have to be nice since that will come out anyways. Usual maintenance is nice to see like recent replacements of the water pump, timing and balance shaft belts and rollers, as well as other usual upkeep of the suspension. If you find one with koni or bilstein shocks and upgraded sway bars, thats even better since that is what you will want to do eventually anyways. Stay away from a ran when parked 5 years ago, salvage, or parts car. Those end up being more headache then they are worth once you have to replace everything on it. Be careful when looking at already modded cars. Sometimes the mods end up not being legal for our class if 944Spec is your end state goal.

If the water pump, timing and balance shaft belts and rollers (budget $500) haven't been replaced recently, do that immediately before hitting the track. Also change the engine oil, transmission oil, and bleed the brakes. No need for fancy brake pads on your first event since the car will be much more capable than your abilities. After that, you can look into some more aggressive Hawk brake pads.

Decent running track candidates can be had from between $1-3k depending on how nice of a start you want. If you want to get a car that is ready to go and setup for the track, you can find those starting at $5k.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: NEW TO FORUM AND 944 TRACK 6 years, 6 months ago #21863

• reflexr
  • Senior Racer
Where in California are you? If you are in the LA area, you are welcome to come check out our build and the one we have in progress. Just let me know! Always happy to help!
Joey Genitempo
NASA SoCal
No. 42
88 944 Spec- Blue Camouflage- retired
84 944 Spec- Green- 42
84 944 Spec- Yellow- 24
87 944 Spec-

Re: NEW TO FORUM AND 944 TRACK 6 years, 6 months ago #21866

• BIGGEB
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks for the reply and information. The pricing I've seen cover a wide range. I'm looking for a ball park $ amount for purchase a running car. Also need advice for Turbo vs Non Turbo, engine size and S S2. Also any better years to look for.

thanks

Re: NEW TO FORUM AND 944 TRACK 6 years, 6 months ago #21867

• BIGGEB
  • Drivers Ed
reflexr wrote:
Where in California are you? If you are in the LA area, you are welcome to come check out our build and the one we have in progress. Just let me know! Always happy to help!

Yes I'm in Chatsworth California and would like to come by.

Thanks,
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds