Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Wanted: Late model fuel rail
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wanted: Late model fuel rail

Re:Wanted: Late model fuel rail 14 years ago #7226

944Racer72 wrote:
Check your balance shafts. I'd almost bet money that you will find them off a tooth.

I cracked 2 fuel rails in exactly the same spot before I realized the balance shaft belt had jumped a tooth or two.

Clarks-garage.com has a good write up on the balance shafts.

Others have cracked the oil pickup tube and spun rod bearings because of the same thing so check it soon!

I agree to all this and infact expereinced it too (yes both fuel rails and oil pick up tubes.

You can't really feel the balance shafts being off. You can in some cases, but not in a race car. One thing to realise is that it is very easy to install the lower balance gear upside down causing major secondary vibrations. You can't feel them, but parts sure can.

Also balance shaft leaks are not common.. Well they happen, but can and should be fixed. A good 944 motor will not leak any oil nor will burn oil. Some motors will burn some, but no leaking is "normal". Fix the leaks don't accept them as ok. Now it is possble to race the car with minor leak, but don't forget to repair it. The source of the leaks can be bad shaft seals, bad o-rings behind the gears or worn metal rings where the seals run. These can develop grooves causing even new seals to leak. All of these can be removed/replaced with the engine in the car.

About the rail.. you can adapt the early fuel rail to the late fuel lines. It may take some adjustments to connectors, but there is no difference in the rails other than where the fuel regulator and damper are located. I run a late rail, but I keep early rails as since I can use them if need to.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years ago by joepaluch.
  • Page:
Moderators: SvoChuck, joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.06 seconds