Username Password: Remember me

2011 spec tires
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 spec tires

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10184

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
If we're going to not use the correct size RA-1, the NT-01 makes a whole lot more sense as you don't give up the width vs the 205 and the tread compound/tire carcass/construction is exactly the same as the RA-1 so you don't have to redo your camber and toe and deal with a compound that doesn't last.

My.02. Hopefully RA-1 supplies in our size don't dry up.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by Robbie.

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10185

We may be ok. This my pure speculation, but it seems like many in Japan are working over time to rebuild. There was section of freeway destory and then rebuilt in 6 days making it looked like nothing ever happened.

There are also reports of many workers going back to work as little as 1 day later. So it may very well be that the Toyo plant will be up and running rather soon. If a shipment just came in then one may not be due for a while. My guess is they make RA-1's as a specifc production "run" and then change over to other tires. So the next run for RA-1's may be sometime off.

So again there is chance that it will have minimal impact on the supply for us racers.

Just a thought.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10188

The Japanese are resilient.

http://www.toyo-rubber.co.jp/english/news/2011/110324.html

Toyo Tires has announced that its Sendai Plant, which manufactures automobile tires, has resumed partial operation of productions as of today, March 23rd 2011. Toyo Tires’ manufacturing subsidiary, Fukushima Rubber Co., Ltd. has also resumed partial operations. As indicated in an earlier press release dated March 18th 2011, entitled “STATUS UPDATE REGARDING TOYO TIRE’S SENDAI PLANT,” manufacturing operations at the Sendai Plant had been suspended since March 11th 2011, due to the power outage in the region resulting from the massive earthquake. However, with the gradual return of electric power in the area, Toyo Tires has made a thorough inspection of the production facilities and evaluated the safety of its employees, and as a result has determined that it may safely resume productions as detailed below.

Hmm down for 2 weeks.. Not bad. Clearly they are not at 100% right now, but this is progress.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10198

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I called Buttonwillow raceway tire shop and they only have 1 set of 944 tires in stock. They were waiting for a delivery that may not be coming.
They did have 30 SM tires in stock (205/50-15).
Only time will tell.
Let's hope for the best.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10232

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Toyo resumes limited shipments

Toyo resumes Japan tire shipments
Tire shipments have resumed at Toyo Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd.'s Sendai manufacturing plant in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan.

More good news from Toyo Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd.: tire shipments have resumed at its Sendai manufacturing plant in Miyagi Prefecture. The shipments of limited quantities follow news on Thursday, March 24, that the plant had recommenced production on a limited basis (see “More Toyo plants power-up in devastated Japan”).

The Sendai Plant manufactures automobile tires. Production at the plant had been suspended in the aftermath of the "Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake" on March 11, due to a lack of electric power.

While only some of the plant’s production lines have partially opened, others will reopen soon. Toyo says products are being manufactured on a restricted basis due to the limited availability of electricity, fuel and raw materials.

Toyo previously announced that partial power had been restored at the Sendai plant (see “Toyo plant gets power, prepares to produce”).

The company also recently made a significant donation to relief efforts in the two prefectures where the Sendai and Fukushima plants are located (see “Toyo donates $1.9 million to relief efforts in Japan”).
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by cgktexas.

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10236

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
We have a race in 3 weeks and I am having difficulty finding RA-1s. Hopefully this shipment comes in or I will be SOL.
Anybody have any "insider info" on where I can find something?

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds