Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2011 spec tires
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 spec tires

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10071

Toyo's only was at an SCCA event this weekend, so I couldn't get ahold of him. I think Nick may be interested in your tires!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10073

rlofgren wrote:
are you having trouble finding tire shops with ra-1s in stock now? I just got some from toyos only in AZ only to get my toyo bucks cashed in. I have a full set shaved i'm not sure when i even need. any offers?

That is my point Rick, thanks!

Nick,
I can understand the worry being a shop an needing to support your guys. As for using last years tires to start a new season... Well that is not an issue because don't we all do that. I never distingish between "last years" tires and this years tires. I simply record all my heat cycles and run them till they cycle out. I end up running most tires for no more than 1 calendar year, but that year often spans 2 seasons.

As Rick clearly stated the key issue short term is how many tires are in the USA. It may take 2-3 months for a production stop on the RA-1 to actually impact us here. Frankly I don't know. I don't know what the season long implication for RA-1 supply will be. However lets not get in a panic yet. Like I said earlier we need to know the current supply of tires in the USA and any intranist from Japan. There may well be a shortage, but I can't say when that will hit.

Toyo is the spec tire producer for not just our class as well so I bet there other classes who go through tires faster than us in same or worse position. So I suggest letting John Lindsey work the issue. My thinking is that we have some supply of tires in the US today. Enough to last a few months. Then their could be supply shortage that will impact all toyo spec classes at different times. John is probably right now working on solution for all the NASA spec toyo classes.

So consider short term needs right now and tell all your guys to make sure you keep your tires for as long as possible. If they can get an extra heat cycle or two great do it. Otherwise sit tight and buy only the tires you need.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10085

Update from John Lindsey - makes it clear where we are at now:

Eric-

After spending some time on the phone today, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that anything on a truck should be OK to be delivered so it sounds like Tires Direct will get theirs. Phil's Tire also has 100 tires coming in two weeks and they are confirmed to be in the country and on a truck now. I also found 16 tires at Bob Woodman and 8 tires at Toyos Only.

The bad news is that there are not any left in the warehouses and Toyo has zero data on when they might get more as their distribution network is shot and the Sendai factory is screwed.

So we will have tires for the short term, soon.

We will need options for later this year.
Options are being considered. Stay tuned. My advice is to get RA-1's while you can.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10094

yeah ive tried ordering tires from a couple different places now and no one had them- national back order they said.
"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting."

Follow my blog at danj944spec.wordpress.com/

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10178

Phils Tires has tires in transit from the port, and is taking orders. for out size RA-1's. I ordered a set today.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2011 spec tires 13 years, 4 months ago #10182

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
There is always the stock of 225/50/15 R888s that Toyo still sells. I think Toyo's requirement was to use their tires so that is an option. We can also run the 205 sized tires as Eric and several others tested them and since SM has a lot greater demand there might be a bigger supply of those also. It gives us Toyo tires but might require redoing alignments, etc. Just food for thought.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds