Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10201

I agree you don't need it at speed but for the 3 Lbs and ~ $90 for the Spal fan, I'll take the insurance.

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10207

Guys for the most part I don't trust old stock radiators. I have seen too many ready to pop and full of crap. I think it is wise to install a new radiator rather than hope a 20+ year old one will work.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10210

Do you buy a new Turbo radiator or use something like this: www.customaluminumradiator.com/node/32042

$550 isn't cheap for a radiator, but Pelican list a new 944T radiator for $333, which isn't cheap either.

-bj

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10211

No they aren't cheap but they are cheaper than a blown up engine.

Be aware that a turbo radiator isn't a direct fit. You have to space the bottom mounting plate about 1.5" down to make it fit.

A cheaper alternative to new would be to have the old one thoroughly cleaned at a radiator shop (if they still have those).

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10212

Oh, I have the new cooling system installed. I used a Stuart 160F thermostat. I drilled 3 5/16 holes around the flat edge. Between these holes and the steam vent, the system will totally self bleed. Just pour in water until it comes out the bleed screw hole, tighten everything up, and run. The air and extra water were pushed out the over flow. This was the easiest my 944's cooling system has ever bled.

I also added a bottle of Amsoil Coolant Boost. It's like Water Wetter. The purple color looks cool going through the clear hoses of the steam vent.

As for temps. After running it for a while, it did get to operating temp with the fans off. It leveled out just past the half way mark. When I flipped on the single stock fan, the temp dropped to the 1/4 mark in less than 20 seconds.

I'd say my cooling system is well sorted, now.

-bj

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10219

loftygoals wrote:
Do you buy a new Turbo radiator or use something like this: www.customaluminumradiator.com/node/32042

$550 isn't cheap for a radiator, but Pelican list a new 944T radiator for $333, which isn't cheap either.

-bj

I just use a stock NA radiator. Works fine if fresh. I fact the entire cooling system works fine if it is all fresh.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds