Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 3 months ago #10541

I finally got my car on the scales this weekend. The weight reduction was very successful. The car is now at 2326 w/o fuel, driver, or ballast.

I'm right at 200# with gear and at the last race, my car was 2670 with me in it and the fuel light on. So I removed around 140#!!! Looks like I'll need quite a bit of ballast.

BTW, I still have the stock dash, heater core, glass windshield, and bumper pads.

-bj

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 2 months ago #10897

I am looking at building my first 944Spec. Would it be possible for you to briefly list what you have removed to hit you target weight?

Thanks!

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 2 months ago #10898

Michael, where are you located?

There are several weight reduction threads between this forum and the NASA forums from the past that may be helpful. You remove anything that is bolted on, and not needed to make the car go, turn, or stop. Bodywork has to stay intact, but there is a lot of parts that aren't needed in & around the car...
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 2 months ago #10899

I am in South Carolina. I will keep looking at the threads.

I am coming to Road Atlanta in June, but only as HPDE as the car is stock and I have no licenses.

I have done a fair number of DEs over the years, but I think I am ready to take the plunge and race.

I am debating buying a prepared car, but I do not see a lot available. I like working on the 944, but I am ready to drive.

BTW - I have owned one 944 or another since I bought one new in September of 1982.

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 2 months ago #10900

michaelreich wrote:
I am debating buying a prepared car, but I do not see a lot available. I like working on the 944, but I am ready to drive.

If you like to work on the car and want it done a certain way then building it the way to go. That way you know what it took to build the car and you know what cost cutting measure you took along the way.

Buying a completed car is faster and cheaper if you paying for the build, but it can leave you open to what ever short cuts the PO did in the build. The good news is less sorting out since much that was probably done already

Either way can work, but it depends on what you want from the experience. There won't be many cars built to the rules in the south east as the series is expanding in that area. There are more cars in west and there has been good growth in Texas and the mid west. If you want a complete car they can be had from So-Cal or Arizona. Of course you would have get them shipped.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds