Getting started on the road to 944Spec
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting started on the road to 944Spec

Getting started on the road to 944Spec 13 years, 2 months ago #10827

• Sqweak
  • Drivers Ed
Hello,

My name is Corey and I'm new around here. I had heard of 944-Spec before, as I'm a PCA member and Boxster owner (well co-owner, it's the Wife's daily driver ), but it wasn't until I started looking at 944s recently that I started reading up and realized it might be the perfect thing for me.

I'm a lifelong enthusiast, but from an unusual perspective as I got my start and education on cars through Gran Turismo and the Internet. I know a whole lot of useless information on chassis & engine codes, specifications, and model history but I can't really turn a wrench to save my life. When I got married I inherited a father-in-law who is both an industrial arts/pre-engineering teacher as well as a home hot rod builder but as we're 2k miles apart I don't get to learn as much from him as I'd like to.

I have some track experience, having participated a few events from PCNA both as Auto-X and road course but that's the extent of "full size" experience. I got into karting a few years back, graduated Jim Hall's Kart School and did a few kart track days with Rotax, but never got into racing. About the same story with motorcycles: I graduated from Keith Code's Superbike School, have a dedicated track bike in the garage, and have done a number of track days but never moved to racing.

I'm in SoCal, so in addition to PCA we have the local Porsche Owners Club org and after getting our 987 I started investigated their DE and TT programs but could never feel comfortable taking the plunge with a car that needed to be used for daily transportation. I never really got into Auto-X for similar reasons but also just due to not being excited about racing in parking lots (but not offense to those that love it! )

This is where the 944 comes in. I'm shopping for a cheap one now that is reliable enough to use for occasional street transportation. From there, I'd like to start getting involved in the DE and TT events with it until I'm qualified to convert it to spec and join guys. I know the common knowledge is to buy something already prepared, but I think I'd enjoy and learn more by buying a cheap and functional car and slowly building it up with spec as the ultimate goal. Heck, I'm inspired by the great build threads and blogs I've seen around here and have been looking for a reason to write more, so maybe I can use the experience to motivate that hobby as well.

Thanks for reading that extremely long winded intro. I hope to meet some of you at events in SoCal soon! It seems to be a very mature and friendly community around here, I look forward to becoming a part of it.

Thanks,

Corey

P.S. While I've got your expert attention, there is a local 85.5 I've got my eye on, but it's got this somewhat scary looking dent in the front drivers panel. It looks like a new panel from Pelican Parts runs almost as much as the purchase price for the car. Is this fixable? Or should I rule it out for my needs? Or maybe hunt for a cheaper replacement via junkyard or whathaveyou?

Re: Getting started on the road to 944Spec 13 years, 2 months ago #10828

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Welcome to the fun and sometimes frustrating world of 944's. There are a lot of similar stories to yours out there. Be warned, once you hit the big track and get a taste of wheel to wheel racing, you're hooked! The 944 is the perfect car for it also, not too expensive, very durable, and easy to drive! I wasn't a fan of the car until I drove one at speed and finally took the plunge after a nasty off track excursion in my Boxster.

A great thing about 944 racing that seems to be universal is the great people you will meet. Everybody wants to help, everyone is friendly. You will make some life long friends.

The biggest piece of advice I would give is if you are thinking of doing it, jump in with both feet. Track time, even in a car that's not very competitive, is golden!

The car you are looking at seem perfect. There are two basic cars, the early cars with the old dash and early offset suspension, and the late cars with the new dash style and late offset. Both have their fans, and both have their merits and drawbacks but the 85.5 & 86 have the best of both worlds(I race an 86 and have an 84 parts car). You get the early offset geometry with aluminum suspension that can be converted easily to steel A arms, which means you can run the light but ugly cookie cutter wheels. You also get the late dash which means the steering wheel won't hit your thighs which comes in to play if you plan on street driving. The dent doesn't look that bad at all. A replacement can be found at Partsheaven or EASY, both up here in Norcal, or you can try and pound it out. It might not be a show winner, but track cars take a bit of a beating anyway.

Good luck and hope to see you here in Northern California where we clearly have the best drivers and tracks despite what the Big Dog might say!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sqweak

Re: Getting started on the road to 944Spec 13 years, 2 months ago #10829

Don't buy a pristine 944 to turn it into a race car. If the mechanicals are decent, the car in the pic looks perfect. As mentioned there are many outlets for used fenders. Since the cars were galvanized, most of even the derelict ones are not rusted, so body parts are plentiful used.
Before you spend much time on the track, go through the motor once thoroughly - it will save you in the long run. Cross drill the crank, put a trap door oil pan in. Those mods, and a new water pump will make your motor reliable on the track. If the timing belt has not been done recently, it should be on the very top of your priority list - these are interference motors.

Welcome to the addiction!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sqweak

Re: Getting started on the road to 944Spec 13 years, 2 months ago #10830

• Sqweak
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks all! It seemed mechanically sound and strong, so I pulled the trigger! I'm now the owner of my first project car.

Re: Getting started on the road to 944Spec 13 years, 2 months ago #10831

Not wasting any time! Congradulations.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Getting started on the road to 944Spec 13 years, 2 months ago #10843

Welcome to the group.

Your two most valueable resources are this forum and Rennlist.com. As lots of questions and we can save you lots of time and money.

First thing. Shops will charge the same labor rate for your 987 as they will for the 944. So best to do as much you can as possible. The 944 can beworked on and maintained at home with basic skills and many competitive race cars have been built at home. Use the knowledge gained here and at rennlist.com.

Alos don't be afriad of used parts. Many of us have parts cars or access to parts cars for used part. These also keep costs down. The 944 you buy will need work, but as questions and the can all be worked through.

Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds