Username Password: Remember me

Picking a car to start the build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Picking a car to start the build

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11162

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Big Dog wrote:
Wow, now this becomes very personal with lots of different views. With that said, here is my view.

Transmission - I do not do anything here so I want one that seems solid.
Body - Why start with something that needs money spent here?
Interior - If you want to sell things to recover money and only if it is in great shape to allow you to do it. If it is bad but the price is low enough, who cares.

Everything else on your list - Who cares.
Engine - I would never put a car on the track without having the engine redone including water pump, hoses etc. I replace the radiator as well due to the temps we see here in the summer. I simply don't like the idea of not knowing the history of important bits and pieces.
Suspension - I replace wheel bearings, shocks, bushings, torsion bars, etc so the condition of the original suspension is not a concern for me.
Brakes - Who cares, I replace the soft lines with ss and either rebuild all of the calipers or buy them from Paragon. The rotors are replaced as well as the pads as part of the build.

Great post. You will get lots of different opinions and perspectives. I await others views on this topic.

Jim "Big Dog" Foxx

Well said and I'll add that the more you go over and rebuild/replace/make sure it's in proper working order, the less likley you'll miss any track time cause of a break down.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11163

I personally think the 85.5/86 model is the ideal car to start with. It is the only "late" car with early offsets. Backdate the front control arms to steel and you have IMHO the best suspension starting point.

As long as the tub is straight, the rest is not that important like others said. An LSD gearbox is going to be a rare find in a cheap car and the engine will likely need at least a budget rebuild for track duty anyway.

Use a very nice cage and build the rest as budget allows.

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11164

• Dolfan
  • Drivers Ed
I'm new to the 944 world, but is there a place where I can look up build codes or VIN number to determine what a car would have as original equipment?

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11165

The VIN doesn't mean much but there is a build sticker under the "trunk" mat by the spare tire with option codes.

Here's a good list and shows the location:

www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?...age_optioncodes.html

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11166

Clark's Garage

^^^ Look here

I like the mid year cars for their early offset suspension, and late electronics, and bigger, plastic gas tank. That said, it's more personal preference than anything. I've raced successfully in an early cars, mid year cars, and late cars. Nothing between them on the track.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11167

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Use a very nice cage and build the rest as budget allows.[/quote]

I agree with this. The first, and most important thing in any build, is safety items. All else should be secondary.

A great cage, full containment halo seat, top line belts, proper seat mounting (not on the floor pan), fire system and practice in exiting the car in a simulated emergency situation.

Life is short, get the best safety equipment first and then deal with the rest.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds