Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

944Spec running GTS1
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 944Spec running GTS1

944Spec running GTS1 11 years, 11 months ago #13358

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Thought you guys might find it interesting. I finished the spec build here last week (at the track on test and tune Friday as is required I guess for all true race builds )

No other Spec cars and we considered running solo. But in the end decided to run GTS1 with the other 944s that live here. BTW - here is Summit Point (SPR).

Running on Hoosiers our first lap times were 1:29.4 which is a respectable time for a 944 on SPR at this build level. Race time was 1:28.311 also a satisfying time.

That put us 4th behind a BMW which owns GTS1 class here (detuned torque monster with a VERY built suspension) a very built 944 and another semi-built 944. The only car in the bunch we really think we're racing is the third and it was close. Couple other 944s behind us with build way beyond spec.

If I can convince a couple of fellows to 'drop back' to Spec we'll try to get something going. Problem here is the huge previous PCA presence where even DE cars are pimped out way beyond spec and it's hard to get guys to take stuff off. But - who knows - now that we've beat a couple of them I am using that argument to suggest they sell some parts and make the car cheaper to run and faster. None of us is ever going to catch the BMW or the first place 944. So I'm arguing we should just run together in Spec. We'll see what happens.

FWIW the car weighs 2280 empty. Haven't got dyno numbers but it's the junk yard rebuild favored in spec circles - just a good cleanup rings and bearings and seals. So 135?? I 'conditioned' the cylinders per factory manual but did not hone them. So cylinders/pistons are loose and looser. Runs very cool in motion. Oil pressure is 3 bar all day long on Redline 40wt.

Car number is 36 if you want to look at Mylaps.
'JB'
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by JB3.

Re: 944Spec running GTS1 11 years, 11 months ago #13359

Hey John,

Was Jack driving? The SE guys have got some Spec cars running so I'm sure you could talk them into VIR or go run with them at CMP.

I can tell you from personal experience that these cars are WAY more fun on Toyos sliding around than on Hoosiers. If you can get some guys to run Spec, they'll be converted for good.

I've had more fun the last couple of years in Spec than I ever had in my far more built up Cup car and spent a lot less money, especially on tires.

Tell Jack to come out and run an event with us. We'll find him a good car or he can use mine

Re: 944Spec running GTS1 11 years, 11 months ago #13360

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Jack was driving. Built the car particularly so multiple drivers could fit. Don Ruschman is coming by tomorrow for a 'fitting'.

I don't remember in detail but I think you would agree the 1:28 a good time. Jack was hustling. Even on Toyos he probably would have finished same position. The 1:29 was before had even set tire pressures. Did that Sun morning.

VIR is almost our favorite track. CMP is good especially since they 'fixed' the gokart section square corners. And Atlanta is attractive (LJ live there now - just got his Doc Chiropractic). But I don't see us able to do a complete points schedule with SE. What with me working at SPR its just - handy!

So the goal is to entice a Spec group in Mid Atlantic.
'JB'

Re: 944Spec running GTS1 11 years, 11 months ago #13361

John,

Keep the faith man, this is great stuff! Nothing beats the fun/$ of a Spec car. You can stop worrying about what to buy, and just drive the car. Comparing data really means something here, and is great fun, too. Bring that Spec car to Nationals, and we'll have a blast!

-Eric
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 944Spec running GTS1 11 years, 11 months ago #13366

[quote="944Racer72" post=13359]
The SE guys have got some Spec cars running so I'm sure you could talk them into VIR or go run with them at CMP.

quote]

We're planning on making it to VIR this year- probably in October. We're also at CMP and Road Atlanta every chance we get.

Mike and RJ are our only 2 full time 944-Spec racers right now and I know they'd love a little more competition, particularly at VIR. Jason, Duff and I will be attending the November comp school at CMP so if you could make it there you would have some rookies to pick on .

It's great to see another region in the South jump start 944-Spec the MidSouth region says they have several cars in the works, too.

Maybe someday we'll have a MidSouth-Southeast-MidAtlantic rivalry! Maybe even some kind of inter-regional points series held at Barber, Road Atlanta and VIR...just a dream for now!

What can we do to help, John?
NASA Southeast
944-Spec

Re: 944Spec running GTS1 11 years, 11 months ago #13367

I signed up for Jack's Laps 4 Life initiative so I guess I'll owe some money as it sounds like he did well.

I still intend to get back East one of these days so I need you guys to get Spec popular out there!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds