Help on braking and caster settings
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help on braking and caster settings

Help on braking and caster settings 11 years, 8 months ago #13628

• Lofgren
  • Drivers Ed
Hello all -

This is about my "other" 944, but I hope you won't mind helping me. It's a 944S2, suspension similar to a 944Spec, but Racer's Edge control arms and big tires (sticky 275-40 at all 4 corners).

My problem is straight-line stability under braking - the car just wanders all over when I brake hard. I don't think the problem is rear brakes locking up (been there a few times in the Spec car ). The front toe is at 0 degrees. Any suggestions on what I could check?

Reading the web, one thing I'd like to try is maximizing my caster. I know you adjust it with the "tabs" at the back of the control arms, but I don't know which way to move them (towards the inside of the car, or towards the outside)? Is it the same on both sides (both toward the inside, or both toward the outside)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan

Re: Help on braking and caster settings 11 years, 8 months ago #13639

• phlip
  • Comp School
Which ever way pushes the tire foreward increases positive caster. I believe it's to the outside. This will also change the toe and camber. I would be more concrend with rear toe, especialy how much it is changing under braking. May have a worn bushing letting one of the control arms move under heavy braking. Also it is important to have an alignment done by someone who has experience doing alignments on track cars.
On my GTS car I ran 1/16" total toe-in in the back, zero toe in front, and as much caster as I coulg get while making both sides equal.
--------------
Phil --------
NASA TX
944 SPEC #030
Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by phlip.

Re: Help on braking and caster settings 11 years, 8 months ago #13640

Good advice ^^^

A good LSD will also help stability under braking.
If it always unstable in the same direction, check you rear calipers, as well.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Help on braking and caster settings 11 years, 8 months ago #13660

Have you had the car corner balanced? 100+ pounds more on one wheel can make your car dive to that side. Also, try rotating your tires left and right, see if that changes anything.

Good luck
Norman #99

Re: Help on braking and caster settings 11 years, 8 months ago #13666

• Lofgren
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I've maxed out my caster (moving the "ears" towards the outside of the car). My camber/caster gauge says I went from 1 degree to 1.75 degrees, which seems pretty wimpy (of course, it's the first time I'm measuring caster...).

Good info on the LSD. I have a factory LSD, but I don't think it's doing much anymore.

I do have a tiny bit of toe-out on the rear (1/16") which I should clearly get rid of. I have had the car professionally aligned and corner-balanced in the past, but I've since changed to the Racer's Edge control arms (with the 1" extensions, if you know what I mean) and that made BIG changes to my alignment (ever tried driving a 944 with 1/4" of toe-in per side on the front? spooky!).

Off to the track tomorrow. Thanks again.

Dan
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds