Username Password: Remember me

Brake Pads
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Brake Pads

Re: Brake Pads 11 years, 8 months ago #13788

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
OK that makes a little more sense but still a new one for me!

Are bias valves a no no for us? I know there are several different ones installed from the factory directly on the MS. Thoughts?

Sterling Doc wrote:
Joe, I think you mis-understood Ken. he doesn't have blues on side of the car, and yellows on the other. He has a blue pad on one side of the rotor, and a yellow on the other. Still a novel approach.

I do find that I need to address bias with different pads front to rear. I had significant rear lock up issues running Hawk Blues all around. Many guys in our region use Hawk Blue front, and HP+ in the rear. I now use DTC-60 pads in the front, and Blues in the rear - a similar bias F/R but more bite all around - less pedal pressure.
Old Racer!

Re: Brake Pads 11 years, 8 months ago #13789

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Joe, I think you mis-understood Ken. he doesn't have blues on side of the car, and yellows on the other. He has a blue pad on one side of the rotor, and a yellow on the other. Still a novel approach.

I do find that I need to address bias with different pads front to rear. I had significant rear lock up issues running Hawk Blues all around. Many guys in our region use Hawk Blue front, and HP+ in the rear. I now use DTC-60 pads in the front, and Blues in the rear - a similar bias F/R but more bite all around - less pedal pressure.

That is correct, less bite than all yellow and more than all blue pads. I can't remember where I picked that one up from but it helps with the bias and is less expensive than plumbing in a bias valve.
I'd like to try the Hawk pads next but not sure which ones. 60's and blues or blues and hp+
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Brake Pads 11 years, 8 months ago #13798

Bias valve are not legal. Split friction pads address the issue well.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Brake Pads 11 years, 8 months ago #13805

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
RacerX wrote:
No blow out, wore out. The blue wears faster than the yellow and has less bite. With all yellows in the rear, they lock up very easily. So I installed one blue pad and one yellow in each rear caliper to help with front to rear ballance. I can still lock up the rear but it's much harder to do.

This is good to know. I was about to put yellows in all around. Never thought of doing that.

Re: Brake Pads 11 years, 8 months ago #13807

Rears that lock up before fronts mean spins, or less than threshold braking. You want front to lock just before the rears do.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Brake Pads 11 years, 8 months ago #13808

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
So looking at the parts books there are N/A cars with MCs that have the screw in bias valves so I would assume that it would be legal to go with that combo. Not sure it would help or not with the bias issues.

Looks like there are the following MCs:
23/19
19/19
23/23

I would assume 23/19 would be the way to go unbiased. A strait 19 or 23 with a bias valve might be better?

There might be more but that is what I have found. I dont know how many different bias valves there are.
Old Racer!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds