Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

tranny rebuilds
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: tranny rebuilds

Re: tranny rebuilds 11 years, 7 months ago #13917

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
You bring the tranny, I'll bring the Tamales!

Re: tranny rebuilds 11 years, 7 months ago #13918

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
It's interesting that some of you do not see a lot of trans failures. We have seen LOTS of them. Of course, out here it is not unheard of to have a unit with over 250,000 miles, so that may be part of the problem. The cheap ones we buy have a lot of miles!

Eric - any feedback on the trans temps for your enduro?

I will try to get one in mine before the next race as well.

I like Joeblow's cooling ideas. Is there any reason we could not make that legal for spec? It is for reliability, not performance enhancement.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes

Re: tranny rebuilds 11 years, 7 months ago #13921

Enduro is this coming Sunday. Rules change proposal is coming soon - put it in there. More data helps push it through. Once we change the rules, a lot of people start spending money, so we want to have a reasonable degree of certainty that it's going to help.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: tranny rebuilds 11 years, 7 months ago #13922

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
tcomeau wrote:
Hey guys,
Our trannies usually die due to ring and pinion failure. We just replace the whole tranny with one that works and get back to racing. I have at least a dozen trannies in the shop inventory that have a broken R & P. I've been trying to find someone who can CNC new parts cheaper. No luck. Porsche has the R & P sets, but they cost $947 to the average guy on the street.
So............Is there any interest in a group purchase to get the cost down? Anyone else sitting on trannies? Shops?
Thanks

I'm interested.

Also: the 'tabbed shim washer' in the LSD seem to be broken. I can't locate new ones. Maybe you can?
'JB'

Re: tranny rebuilds 11 years, 7 months ago #13923

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
1M Fan wrote:
I'm new to the Porsche tranny's but I know the VWs have issues with ring gear being rivited. They have bolt kits to solve the problem. Is that the issue with Porsche?

Nope
'JB'

Re: tranny rebuilds 11 years, 7 months ago #13924

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
I'd have some interest, but with used trannys running $150 these days, it would have to be a pretty big discount.

Every used I have taken apart has had some metal in it at least and needed bearings somewhere. What I have seen (admittedly way fewer than the pros) is pinion bearing wear. And others. So when I buy a used my expectation is it's going to be $priceoftrans.00 plus $500 minimum
'JB'
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds