Username Password: Remember me

Shock Install Question.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shock Install Question.

Shock Install Question. 11 years, 7 months ago #13962

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
I'm installing the Koni 26-1209 shock on the rear of my 83 944. The only problem is they don't fit. The bushings in the shocks are wider than the slot for the mounting point. I can grind the bottom sleeve on the shock and get the bottom to fit but not the top.

The top mount is about 1/4 inch too narrow to slide the shock into place and install the bolt. There appears to be a metal sleeve in the top mount. Does this need to be remove? can it be removed? I lightly beat on it with a hammer but it doesn't want to come out.

Re: Shock Install Question. 11 years, 7 months ago #13991

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I had to grind my ends a bit to make them fit. You don't have to remove the sleeve, just take the shock to the grinder and go slow.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Shock Install Question. 11 years, 7 months ago #13999

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
Thanks, that's what the last person did, but the Konis couldn't be ground enough.

I figured out how to fix it last night. I used a 5 inch piece of grade 5 7/16 threaded rod, a couple of nuts and several 12mm washers. placing the threaded rod through the shock mount, I put the two nuts and washers inside the mount point and used them to spread the metal. It takes a few minutes, but it will make the hole large enough to install the shock without grinding.

You can also use 3.5 inch or longer tap bolts. I tried using 3/8 inch A307 tap bolts, but they were too soft and bent. I even bent the grade 5 7/16 rod, but it was strong enough to get the job done.
Last Edit: 11 years, 7 months ago by 1M Fan.

Re: Shock Install Question. 11 years, 7 months ago #14000

Nice tip, thanks!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds