Seat Mounting to floorboard
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seat Mounting to floorboard

Seat Mounting to floorboard 11 years, 3 months ago #15095

• dustinh
  • Drivers Ed
Hi guys,
I'm starting to race prep my 944 but the front seat mounting points have given way on the drivers side. I've seen some photos online where people just extended the bolts down through the floorboard. Is that an acceptable fix?
If not, what is the best way to have that area repaired by a welder, meaning do they fabricate something from scratch or is this common enough that you can buy the correct piece to weld in place?

Thanks,
Dustin
Attachments:

Re: Seat Mounting to floorboard 11 years, 3 months ago #15096

Wow, that's pretty scary. I would not just drill through the floor and call it a day - it is too compromised. While you could cut out a floor pan from a donor car, I would either have a beefy metal plate welded in to cover the whole floor, or better yet, tie the seat mounting into the roll cage through beefy tube extensions. This years rules allow for that specifically.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Seat Mounting to floorboard 11 years, 3 months ago #15097

• dustinh
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks for the advice. If I tie it into the roll cage, that is probably safest but I've never done that before. When that occurs do you have the rails welded onto the roll cage or is the seat fixed in place where you cannot adjust the distance from the steering wheel? Just thinking through how that functionally works. Are there roll cages and seat brands that work better than others for this type of setup?

Thanks,
Dustin

Re: Seat Mounting to floorboard 11 years, 3 months ago #15099

• tcomeau
It's usually the anchor nuts that give way. We weld in a small plate on top , drill down thru the floor (70mm? hardened bolt) and put a 5 x 8 CM backing plate on the bottom of the car. Sometimes we weld in a saddle for the rear bolts if the floor has been ripped on the early cars.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: Seat Mounting to floorboard 11 years, 3 months ago #15102

You want a Hanksville cage - they are the standard here (77 and counting). www.hanksvillehotrods.com.

Right now there are no off the shelf solutions for fabricating a seat mount. There were some ideas and pics posted in the rules changes thread a few months ago. You can put whatever type of mounts or sliders you want in, just make sure it's strong!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Seat Mounting to floorboard 11 years, 3 months ago #15118

• dustinh
  • Drivers Ed
Great advice. Thanks guys. I'll see what I can work out.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds