Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

GT3 seat acceptable?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: GT3 seat acceptable?

GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years ago #15627

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
In my quest to buy a track car, I'm realizing that the seats most use in their cars are the typical Sparco, Omp etc seats and they are just entirely to thickly ......adorn with padding for my tall torso to fit the car with a helmet comfortably.

I have 2 factory GT3 seats that I used in my 993 when I tracked it. I love the seats, comfort with minimal padding and a one piece fiberglass bucket in the same winged design and proper openings for harness as the above mentioned seat mfg's.

It's not an FIA "race" seat, but does follow the rule of being solid and one piece.
Would it be allowed with a seat back brace?

why can't I add a pic to this?
Last Edit: 11 years ago by 993innc.

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years ago #15633

The NASA CCR would regulate this, and it says surprisingly little about seats. Tube frame seats are a verboten, and back braces are required for non-FIA seats. Fire proof material may be an issue on the GT3 setas, but you should be technically legal.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years ago #15635

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Well how fire "proof" are dash material or interior bits allowed to remain in general? I can't tell from either NASA or PCA what the ruling would be on the seat. Who in NASA would make the ultimate decision? The seat isn't leather, it's ..... perlon I think its called. Sort of like the material used on the inside of helmets...a foamy breathable material. If I could post a pic, I'd show the seat but the sites not letting me for some reason.

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years ago #15637

• vpk944
  • Comp School
Just use it. And add a back brace.

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years ago #15650

The CCR only lists it being "recommended" that fire resistant material be used. My suggestion would be to look through the CCR, and then ask your local tech inspector - the chief tech inspector in your region has final say, as the CCR is a NASA ruleset, not controlled by 944 Spec.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years ago #15657

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Ok so the newbie question. There are numerous tech stations around the state all 2,3, and 4 hours away from me..... so how do I know who is "chief"?
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds