Username Password: Remember me

Bilstein questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bilstein questions

Bilstein questions 10 years, 9 months ago #16262

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Hey guys, I'm replacing my Koni's with Bilsteins and have a couple of questions for those with experience with these shocks.

First on the rears can you and/or should you cut the bump stops? There doesn't seem like much travel till you hit them and I know with the Koni's I cut them in half.

Also when I went to put on the fronts they don't fit with my camber plates. There is a lip where the dust covers ride on that is a fraction too big to fit inside the upper spring perch which makes the shaft too short to get the upper bolt on.. Are there specific plates for these shocks? Has anybody else had that problem? My neighbor is going to put them in a lathe and cut them down a bit so we can make it work but this can't be the easiest solution.

Thanks, and I'll see you all at Miller!

Ron

Re: Bilstein questions 10 years, 9 months ago #16266

I tried a used set of Bilsteins and had to use different spring caps and also cut some spacers on my lathe. Charlie B told me where to get the caps and if I remember it was a circle track supplier. I think they were in the $25 range. I cut a couple of spacers so the caps would not bind against the camber plates. I was a bit slower on the Bilsteins at Laguna and have changed back to Konis for Nationals.
Jim Richmond
Capt Squid

Re: Bilstein questions 10 years, 9 months ago #16303

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Hi Ron, the Bilstein is a different shaft size than the Koni as you noticed. I have always had the issue that the Koni was too small for my camber plates and I had to use a bushing for the mono ball at the top of the camber plate. There must be two different monoball inner ID sizes.
Pull the monoball out of the camber plate and measure it. Look at mcMaster Carr online and see if the make the correct one. Here is the link
www.mcmaster.com/#standard-spherical-swivel-bearings/=nvs2gg

As far as the rear shocks go I have never done anything to mine. I did not know that the bump stop rubber was removable.

If the car is too low it will cause problems with handling.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion