Username Password: Remember me

Trailers- open or enclosed?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trailers- open or enclosed?

Trailers- open or enclosed? 10 years, 7 months ago #16534

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Right now I have a 12' enclosed that I use to tow my motorcycles. Not big enough for a car, obviously.

I'm looking at towing options, I'd like to trade up to a larger enclosed but storage is a bit of a problem- I think I can make a 20' work, but that's the max, unless I make some adjustments (like cutting down a tree in the yard).

I notice alot of you use open trailers. Any pros or cons to either approach?

Most of my races are less than 100 miles away. Couple times a year maybe going a bit farther.

What is the smallest enclosed that will handle a 944?

Thanks guys!

Re: Trailers- open or enclosed? 10 years, 7 months ago #16535

• Big Dog
  • Banned
20 feet is plenty long enough for our cars.

Advantage of closed trailer include protection for car in weather, secure storage for tools, tires, ect, protection for everything if stopping overnight on longer trips, can leave some things in trailer all the time.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Trailers- open or enclosed? 10 years, 7 months ago #16538

• jh36
  • Comp School
I have both. A three axle two car enclosed, and a single car open. I recently got the open trailer and absolutely love the ease of maneuverability. Also, I can tow behind the suburban and not fuss with the dually. Or bring the dually and forget I'm towing anything at all.
The enclosed trailer is nice for camping and bad weather. I have a large family so it makes a nice club house for the kids as well. Since my son and I are both competing, the enclosed trailer will likely be kept. If I was racing alone, I think I would go open with a tent or a pickup bed camper.
Jack Higginbotham

Re: Trailers- open or enclosed? 10 years, 7 months ago #16539

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Thanks for the replies. I'm mostly thinking about how much space I'll need to put the car and a rolling tool box.

I need an enclosed for the bikes, so I guess the plan is to upgrade to a 20' and it will do double duty.

Re: Trailers- open or enclosed? 10 years, 7 months ago #16541

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Our cars are something like 14' long so plenty of room for the car and tool box, tires, etc.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Trailers- open or enclosed? 10 years, 7 months ago #16546

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I was told when I bought my enclosed trailer that it was 22 feet and that turns out to be perfect for my needs(I've never actually measured it). Before that I did the open trailer and slept either in the back of the truck or motel which got pricey. We have since turned the trailer into somewhat of a toy hauler with a couch/bed, tv, linoleum floor and family portraits. This actually works good for us with plenty of room for the car, scooter, rolling toolbox, BBQ and stove, and assorted tools, spares and jacks.

I was initially concerned about towing and storing but it fits perfect in my rv parking with room still for my parts car and my Tundra tows it just fine although gas mileage isn't great. Packed for local races I average around 10/11 mpg but for nationals we got 12.3 round trip including climbing over the sierras. The loaded trailer weighed 7100lbs.

Now that I'm used to the enclosed trailer I don't think I could go back . It's a weather tight hangout and garage in one, not to mention storage for the car and stuff at home. Paired with our Yamaha inverter, it's very relaxing to sit under the awning sharing a bottle of wine with the big dog and lil kat under the awning with the lights hanging from it and then retiring inside to watch X files dvd's with popcorn!
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by rd7839.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds