Username Password: Remember me

Forced Air helmets?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Forced Air helmets?

Forced Air helmets? 10 years, 7 months ago #16551

• Gino230
  • Comp School
I'm thinking of getting a forced air helmet. Racing here in South Florida can get VERY hot and humid.

On the motorcycles it's not as much of an issue because our suits are perforated so as soon as we're doing 30 mph, it's like air conditioning blowing through.

I got the car today (thanks Tim!) and just driving around the neighborhood, was surprised how hot it gets in there with no insulation. This got me thinking right away about the Cool shirt deal and possibly a forced air helmet.

Will the "top loader" forced air helmet fit in the 944? The seat is on rails....

I'm very excited, doing a DE weekend with FARA in Homestead in about 2 weeks!

Re: Forced Air helmets? 10 years, 7 months ago #16552

I use a top mount forced air helmet and don't have an issue with clearance. Aside from your physical dimensions, your seat angle will have the biggest affect on how much head clearance you have. I like the top mount better than the side mount because there is less binding on the hose. Still, I'd borrow one to try in the car before you buy anything.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion

Re: Forced Air helmets? 10 years, 7 months ago #16553

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Thanks.

I'm going to need to buy a helmet soon, HPDE /race school coming up. I started shopping around, the nice thing is that there's some SA 2010 helmets out there for under $300..... The Arai that I bought for bike racing was about $800 so I feel like I'm getting off cheap!

Any experience with Zamp? I have heard that they are the "bell of europe". Seems well priced...
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by Gino230.

Re: Forced Air helmets? 10 years, 7 months ago #16554

Sorry, I don't know much about them. The only complaint I have heard about their top mount forced air helmets is that the port doesn't sit real flush to the helmet, so it adds more height than some other makes. I have a Pyrotec carbon fiber model that I like a lot.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x

Re: Forced Air helmets? 10 years, 7 months ago #16555

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Thanks- I"m also starting to think about the HANS, since it's required for NASA spec racing. Alot of these places that sell helmets also will drill and mount posts for the HANS.

Maybe I should just rent a helmet until I'm licensed and then I can decide on the best fit for me. I've only worn a HANS once, it would be great to go to a local shop that had some safety gear I could actually try on and get properly fitted, rather than ordering online.

Re: Forced Air helmets? 10 years, 7 months ago #16556

You definitely want to get a helmet that has HANS mounts installed and I would strongly urge you to make getting a HANS a priority. Because of the cost of getting started in racing, a lot of new drivers try and get by with the least expensive safety equipment that will make them legal to race, but you absolutely need to invest in the best safety equipment you can afford. That includes helmet, belts, fire suit, gloves, shoes, fireproof socks and underwear, balaclava, etc.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by spec944#74.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds