Username Password: Remember me

Manual steering rack
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Manual steering rack

Manual steering rack 9 years, 7 months ago #18125

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I need some advice on a manual steering rack. With one tire on the ground, the other wheel moves more than 1/2 inch when moving the tire in the 3-9 positions. The tie rod ends are both tight, the rack is tight to the cross member and the steering wheel is not moving very much while moving the tire.

When we reversed which wheel was on the ground, the other side moved the same way.

I have never taken a manual steering rack apart and have no idea where such a large amount of play could be coming from as I thought everything was metal to metal. In the past, a small amount of movement, from worn parts, has occurred but this is moving a lot.

What should I be looking for and does anyone have a write up for how to disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble the rack?

Thanks for your advice and assistance.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Manual steering rack 9 years, 7 months ago #18126

Re: Manual steering rack 9 years, 7 months ago #18136

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Thanks for the link. The info was great. I found the problem. The inner tie rod ends (the ball and sockets) were worn out and had significant play in both of them.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Manual steering rack 9 years, 7 months ago #18137

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
Jim,
Be careful of what you get as replacements. Some vendors are selling a VW part that DOES NOT hold up. The VW part uses rubber to isolate noise and vibration. I had 3 failures in 4 weekends. The rubber allows the two pieces (That are metal to metal pressed on the original part) to move under track conditions with sticky tires.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes

Re: Manual steering rack 9 years, 7 months ago #18138

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Chuck, thanks for that heads up. So, inquiring minds want to know what/where to purchase good quality racing ones?
Jim Foxx

Re: Manual steering rack 9 years, 7 months ago #18139

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
I got lucky and found a friend with an NOS TRW part. That was a couple of years ago. I would guess by now that there should be a good replacement. My advice is to ask and make sure it is not the VW part.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds