Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

MS/SE/GL/MW NASA Region Crossover Series
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: MS/SE/GL/MW NASA Region Crossover Series

MS/SE/GL/MW NASA Region Crossover Series 9 years, 5 months ago #18500

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I am exploring the idea of organizing a 3 race crossover series between Mid-South, Southeast, and Great Lakes/Midwest. The most centrally located tracks to do this at would be Memphis (MIR), National Corvette Museum (NCM), and Road Atlanta. The MIR and NCM dates are fairly easy to plug in, MIR being the Small Bore Shootout (an added bonus to attend), and the only NCM date on the GL/MW tentative schedule that is already a cross over between the two regions. That schedule so far looks like this:

June 13-14 - Small Bore Shootout @ MIR (cash prizes just for this race alone)
July 17-19 - National Corvette Museum

The Road Atlanta date is harder to plug in and a bit more spread out due to schedule conflicts between the other two regions. We can either go really early (March) or really late (December) for a Road Atlanta date unless there is enough interest to go to a different SE track (Daytona, CMP, or Roebling).

The goal for this is to increase crossover competition between the regions and get some sort of added contingency and points bonus on the season. What would be enough of an incentive to get drivers to participate in at least 2 or all 3 races? Double Points? Cash Prizes? Tires or race shop gift cards? Trying to get a mark on the wall before I do some organizing only to come up short on the goodies.

Driving distances from Nashville, a centrally located city to all three regions:

NCM - 67 miles or 1 hour
MIR - 207 miles or 3 hours
RA - 265 miles or 4.5 hours

CMP - 460 miles or 7.5 hours
Roebling - 480 miles or 7.5 hours
Daytona - 680 miles or 10 hours
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 9 years, 5 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: MS/SE/GL/MW NASA Region Crossover Series 9 years, 5 months ago #18659

I would prefer the March RA date.

MW & GL seasons usually do not start until mid to late April. If the weather is decent for towing, you may get some folks to come down.

Anyway, let me know what I can do to support the effort. And, if anyone knows of a cheap well-sorted car, I may be interested as I have no time to build one over the winter and Dad won't let me near any more of his vehicles.
Shawn Taylor
Regional Director
NASA Mid South

Re: MS/SE/GL/MW NASA Region Crossover Series 9 years, 4 months ago #18733

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Now that the drama from the Western Nats had died down, I'm bumping this back to the top. I like the March RA date as well. I need to know how much interest there might be so I can try to organize special payouts for those who participate.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: MS/SE/GL/MW NASA Region Crossover Series 9 years, 4 months ago #18757

• KLR
This sounds great to me. I think we can get several Midwest guys to come down for the small bore shootout in Memphis in 2015. We'll obviously be at NCM in large numbers. Road Atlanta is a tougher sell because our region is clustered in Wisconsin and west of Chicago. Tends to push the drive over the 1 day limit, which is much tougher for most guys to swing. Also tends to make a December or March drive iffy because of the weather. We will have a big contingent at VIR for nats, which is another possible date to include.
Neal Agran
Midwest Region 944 Spec Series Director

National championships: 2nd 2013, 3rd 2011

25 Hours of Thunderhill: 2nd E3 class 2011

Midwest Region Champion 2013 and 2014

Re: MS/SE/GL/MW NASA Region Crossover Series 9 years, 4 months ago #18758

• Timwold
  • Senior Racer
Could you add the June Hallett date? The SP1 class in Texas is growing but does not participate that much in NASA events as they often conflict with a PCA event or are too close in date but the June date could bring racers (the June Hastings race might be a bit of a conflict). Not sure how many will have dyno sheets but I think a crowd could make it.
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: MS/SE/GL/MW NASA Region Crossover Series 9 years, 4 months ago #18762

Timwold wrote:
Could you add the June Hallett date? The SP1 class in Texas is growing but does not participate that much in NASA events as they often conflict with a PCA event or are too close in date but the June date could bring racers (the June Hastings race might be a bit of a conflict). Not sure how many will have dyno sheets but I think a crowd could make it.

Dang- looks like the June Hallett date conflicts with the Small Bore Shoot Out in Memphis. Are there any other dates for NASA or PCA there?

March at Road Atlanta gets my vote. If we choose December there is only one points race, the Toy Run fun race is Sunday.

Some thoughts:

Maybe a 4th event at Mid-Ohio? That way each region has a race at a relatively close home track (I know NCM is Midsouth but it is so new it should be considered neutral) and some points for the Nationals at VIR since everyone will be there, too.

We could have a couple of drops so it doesn't become a perfect attendence battle and double points when you are out-of-region.

As far as prizes go maybe just have everyone who wants to do it kick in $50-$100, have some t-shirts made and divide the rest between first, second, and a random place (to keep us backmarkers interested ). Or maybe a tow fund to encourage travel.

An inter-region race series sounds great to me, I will do it regardless of any prizes, they just make things more interesting.
NASA Southeast
944-Spec
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds