Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Why does "Nationals" have to suck?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why does "Nationals" have to suck?

Why does "Nationals" have to suck? 9 years, 5 months ago #18615

We can go a whole season without much drama. We can combine events with other regions and race mirror to mirror at Laguna Seca with 10+ cars and have a great weekend. We all sit around and have laughs over a beer about what happened on track.

Nationals comes around and we have $600 entrance fees, $100 camping fees, dyno controversies, cheating controversies, guys running into each other, cars destroyed...

What is it about a "National" event that makes us act stupid? Is it the reward money or all the glory of the title?

Can we figure out a better way to do this? Split all the prize money? Auction/donate prizes to a worthy charity?

Something needs to change. Every time we do a "National" event we make ourselves and our class look bad to world yet we're a great group of people for 95% of the year.

I'm about done with Nationals

Re: Why does "Nationals" have to suck? 9 years, 5 months ago #18625

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Nationals is a once a year thing and probably figure they can charge more, gouge you for it.

As far as everyone being "STUPID" , same thing, it's only once a year. All racers have that "go for it" attitude, just more so at Nationals. Move or I'll move you!! Come by me & I'll put you into the wall!!!
I wanna' be first! Rubbin' is racin' son.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Why does "Nationals" have to suck? 9 years, 5 months ago #18626

How to make Nationals better is certainly a good question. I'd like guys who have been to Nationals on each coast to chime in about what's good and bad. They are certainly different!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Why does "Nationals" have to suck? 9 years, 5 months ago #18629

I meant my post somewhat in jest. I understand the reasons, I'm a highly driven competitor as well. The point is that I think we can do better as a class.

Re: Why does "Nationals" have to suck? 9 years, 5 months ago #18633

I agree,we can and we have, and we will, so help me! We got through 2 Nationals at Mid-Ohio with no cars wrecked, one without any paper filed at all. At the great 944 Spec gathering at Miller (year before Nationals) we had about 30 cars and played nice. It comes down to the attitude of those who come. I agree that we need to work on this. There were some specific incidents this year that were very troubling, and I am going to follow up on those, but not here.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Why does "Nationals" have to suck? 9 years, 5 months ago #18634

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
944Racer72 wrote:
The point is that I think we can do better as a class.

One thing I noticed being my first time out to a Championship event was our class seemed very disorganized when it came to the race start. I thought the qualifying races it was just people getting used to stuff but by the race on Sunday it felt to me like nobody knew where to go. I was thinking to myself, really, we're waiting until entry into turn 11 to pair up the field? I'm told even the announcer commented on how the start formation looked terrible for our class.

I was heading up the back but I'm using to pairing up at least a few turns before start finish so something around turn 9 or 10 at the latest at Sonoma IMHO.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds