Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New racer in the Northeast. 944 races scheduled?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New racer in the Northeast. 944 races scheduled?

New racer in the Northeast. 944 races scheduled? 7 years, 10 months ago #20859

• Sunvox
  • Drivers Ed
Hi All

New guy here. Just bought my first race car and am working on getting licensed. I see plenty of PCA and SCCA races planned in the Northeast but I can't find any NASA 944 Spec races near me. I looked at NASANE.com and see races scheduled but I don't see 944 Spec

What 944 Spec races are planned or have already run in the Northeast?

Thanks for the help!

Joe in NY

Re: New racer in the Northeast. 944 races scheduled? 7 years, 10 months ago #20865

• jh36
  • Comp School
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the world of racing! You and I may be in a similar spot. I am not sure, but there may be no SPEC 944 cars in NASA NE...you might want to contact the series director to confirm. I am in the same position in the MidAtlantic region of NASA. That HAS NOT stopped me from racing though! I ran GTS1 for quite a while...depending on who is running, the car can be competitive. If a GTS1 guy is a good driver and has built to the limit of the law, it's a little tougher to be competitive! Last weekend I ran in PTE which was a blast, at Summit Point. We got 2nd place on Saturday and 3rd (I think) on Sunday...and a nice bunch of guys to race with.
If you ever feel like making it down to Summit Point or VIR, let me know. I'm happy to show you everything I know about these cars to make them go!
Jack Higginbotham

Re: New racer in the Northeast. 944 races scheduled? 7 years, 10 months ago #20869

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
The car can compete well in PTE just using 944 Spec set up. It tends to handle better in the turns than most of the competition and has more power than Miata's. Enjoy racing. A 944 is a well balanced car that is forgiving to mistakes.

You are about as far away from me as possible so while you are always welcome to come to Southern California and race with us suspect the commute may be a little long.

Re: New racer in the Northeast. 944 races scheduled? 7 years, 10 months ago #20872

• jh36
  • Comp School
I registered as pte because there was a field there and the group leader suggested I join. I believe that we were actually heavy to the rule set. At 135 hp, I believe ptf would be legal for a spec 944 with a little additional weight. If your car dyno's at 125 ( like mine used to!) you are legal at your 2600 lb weight. Because you are allowed 19 mod points in pt, and spec cars don't have many/mods to the calculator.... (tires, non stick sway bars) it's strictly power to weight. pte is 16.5 lb to hp. Ptf is 19.5. Per hp.
In my opinion at this stage of the game is to get out there, have fun, find a group of good folks to run with. When I started, I was fortunate to have an extremely helpful circle of friends in the paddock. It made a world of difference.
Jack Higginbotham

Re: New racer in the Northeast. 944 races scheduled? 7 years, 10 months ago #20873

• Sunvox
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks for the great info guys! I still have to work on the license thing but I'll look into the alternative classes. My plan is to make VIR next season. Hopefully see you there!!

Joe in NY
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds