Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rear Wheel Bearing? (with auto-x video)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rear Wheel Bearing? (with auto-x video)

Rear Wheel Bearing? (with auto-x video) 15 years, 1 month ago #3926

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
Hi Everybody,

The car is an 88 924S with 225/50/15 RA1s. Prepped to the Spec suspension (400# fronts, 30mm rears)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1691356048783331630

At around 1:01 and 1:08 in the video, while turning left around a left-hand sweeper, I got an odd noise coming from what sounded like the right-rear corner. It sounded like a tire rubbing, but a thorough inspection showed no rubbing marks on the tires or the fender/suspension/brake components.

The axles/CVs are rebuilt units with only around 3000 miles on them.

The issue only surfaced while lateraly loading the car while turning left. It only made that noise on that last corner, but did so two runs in a row.

The first time the noise happened, I pulled in and looked the car over. No obviously issues, so I went back out and it happened again. That was it for me for the day.

Any ideas? Can I check for a bad wheel bearing without removing the axles? It's hard to simulate that kind of load experieced at the track...

edit:
I was just looking under the car and thought of a couple other possible causes.

The front swaybar (26.8mm) has delrin bushings for the supports. The bar looked as though it shifted in the mount slightly. I guess it could have been the bar and delrin squeaking. Like I said though, it sounded like the noise was coming from the rear.

Also, I have poly spring plate bushings. They've never squeaked before, and the car didn't load and unload suddenly so I'm not sure about that really. While jumping up and down on the rear end, I can't recreate the noise.
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by genikz.

Re:Rear Wheel Bearing? (with auto-x video) 15 years, 1 month ago #3937

bushing squeak is a high pitched sound. I hear it clearly when driving in the paddock. I never hear it at speed.

wheel bearings going out make grumbling sound and it tends to do it when loaded up. I have not hear the video, but from the description it sounds like wheel bearing. On the aluminum arms change it soon to limit further damage.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Rear Wheel Bearing? (with auto-x video) 15 years, 1 month ago #3945

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
Thanks, Joe. I think I will since I have no idea how long those rear bearings have been in there.

Re:Rear Wheel Bearing? (with auto-x video) 15 years, 1 month ago #3959

that does not sound like a wheel bearing at all. It sounds more like something rubbing or vibrating. It is not bushings sqeaking as that will happen at any speed.

Could it be the chassis or exhaust dragging the ground in the back?
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by joepaluch.

Re:Rear Wheel Bearing? (with auto-x video) 15 years, 1 month ago #3963

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
Okay, I feel a little stupid, but I found the culprit. At about 49 seconds into the video I nail a large green apex cone. I believe that cone got spit up off the right rear and bent a panel in towards the tire. Enough for it to rub, but on the sidewall. I lay the tires on their sides so I just assumed all the marks on the sidewalls were from laying them on the ground.

Here are the pics. A large hammer and a few beers later, she's back in action.

Re:Rear Wheel Bearing? (with auto-x video) 15 years, 1 month ago #3975

Nothing wrong with an easy fix !
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds