Username Password: Remember me

Right side net
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Right side net

Right side net 15 years, 1 month ago #4043

• bcc1323
  • Junior Racer
I just had a high speed side impact with a wall. My right side net was fastened to the body with a chain. I went through the net like it wasn't even there. The chain pulled apart.
What I'm saying is, make sure your net is secure and in case
you need it, it will hold.

Larry
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by bcc1323.

Re:Right side net 15 years, 1 month ago #4044

I am glad you are ok. Do you have any pics of how you had it mounted to help others not make the same mounting mistake in the future?
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Right side net 15 years, 1 month ago #4045

• bcc1323
  • Junior Racer
No I don't. It was mounted with what I call a jack chain which is used for hanging lights etc. That was then screwed to the body. It was the chain that broke.

Re:Right side net 15 years, 1 month ago #4046

Chain designed to hold lights? You are kidding right?
That stuff wouldn't support a 10lb bowling ball let alone the MASSIVE force your head would hit it with in a MILD crash.

Consider yourself very lucky.
BTW, it should have bolted not screwed to body. Did you use a #10 sheet metal screw?
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Right side net 15 years, 1 month ago #4047

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
my right side net has straps just like shoulder seat belts only smaller. loop around the bar, back in through the bracket, just like seat belts. the front is mounted to the dashboard bar(a bit too low) and the roll hoop etc around the seat. the net should wrap around the back of the seat and attach to the roll hoop next to the driver's door.

for the front mount being too low, i was thinking of getting a post put in on the dashboard bar for a higher mounting point.
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/

Re:Right side net 15 years, 1 month ago #4048

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Rick, you got me thinking, my net mounts to the cage "knee bar" about the height of the glove box. I've always considered it something to satisfy the rules but wouldn't do much good in a crash since it was a little low. I did change the rear straps to wrap around the seat but now I'm going to fabricate a bar to stick up through the dash to mount it higher. I'll try to post pics if it comes out good.

Ron
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds