Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

We're starting the process!!!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: We're starting the process!!!

Re:We're starting the process!!! 14 years, 9 months ago #5150

Okay - got another question. How important are Koni shocks? Will I really be able to tell the difference between those and some cheaper brand? I have them on my street 944 and I know they work, but I do not have a basis of comparison.

What is everyone's opinion?

Can anyone suggest the cheapest place to buy them. AJ is the cheapest I have found.

Thanks,
Michael

Re:We're starting the process!!! 14 years, 9 months ago #5153

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
It may depend more on your budget. The worse your current shocks are the more difference you will notice with the Konis. Mine were completely shot. I think the sway bars, bushings and torsion bars made more of a differance in handling on mine. Adding the coilovers with new shocks and then lowering the ride height really helped the in balance transfer. Had I done that first, it may have helped more but you really need the stiffer bars to keep the suspension off the bump stops.
If you can't do it all at once, I'd go with sway bars first, and then whatever is worn out the most after that.
Lee

Re:We're starting the process!!! 14 years, 9 months ago #5154

What I meant to say was:

Can you see a difference between new Konis and new KYBs (for example)?

Sorry for the confusion.

Re:We're starting the process!!! 14 years, 9 months ago #5159

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
OK. If you are going to eventually race in the 944 spec class you will want the spec koni shock to be legal.

Re:We're starting the process!!! 14 years, 9 months ago #5162

You are right! I looked back in the regs and I guess they are required.

Thanks, I am sure I will have a lot more questions...

Re:We're starting the process!!! 14 years, 9 months ago #5168

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
eshocks.com is where I found the lowest price for the Koni or bilstien Spec 944 shocks.

I am running the Spec Bilstein and winning races in a competitive region (So-Cal). They are considerable less $$$ than Konis.

Unless the stock bushings are worn out they should work fine. Stiffer springs and sways will help alot. You can get 2.5 degrees camber in front with stock settings. Lower ride height in back with stock spring plates as far as they will go. Set toe to zero in back and 1/8" total out in front and go have fun.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion