Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Control arm - steel or aluminium
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Control arm - steel or aluminium

Re:Control arm - steel or aluminium 14 years, 9 months ago #6005

Looks like you had a Tarret bar on there - one of the stiffest antisway bars - maybe too much for that arm? That is one other disadvantage of aluminum, they tned to break more suddenly, rather than bend/fatigue first. That said, I haven't seen the late offset ones fail, and I hope not to, as I use a late-offset car, with Tarret Bars
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Control arm - steel or aluminium 14 years, 9 months ago #6006

Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Control arm - steel or aluminium 14 years, 9 months ago #6007

• sagoston
  • Junior Racer
I do have a Tarret bar. It's been set to full soft but maybe that's still too much for this part?

It seems like it would be a good idea to allow reinforcing of these early aluminium arms just from a safety perspective. It would be more cost effective than changing to steel arms...

Re:Control arm - steel or aluminium 14 years, 9 months ago #6013

• sagoston
  • Junior Racer
It turns out the Tarret bar can currently only be used with the aluminium control arms. Tim C. mentioned something about being able to adapt the drop links to the steel arms with a new part but this part is not currently in production. So the bad news is that there is no Tarret part for the steel arms. But the good news is that Ira from Tarret was kind enough to share the drawing for the part and I should be able to create a prototype to test out on my car. I'll follow up when I know how that works outs. Quite an adventure...

Re:Control arm - steel or aluminium 14 years, 9 months ago #6014

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I ordered steel arms, bushings, clamp and ball joints from Gabe at SGS Performance today (805-540-3300). Yes this is a plug for one of my sponsors.
I ordered a set of 3 so I will have a complete spare (L and R are the same).
Should have them tomorrow so I will get a chance to check them out this weekend at Infineon. The forward bushing is rubber/steel and will be softer than the Delrin I was using in my Alu arms.

I will let you know if I can feel any difference.

Steve you know if you will be at Infineon this weekend?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Control arm - steel or aluminium 14 years, 9 months ago #6016

• sagoston
  • Junior Racer
Charlie, I tried to get it together for this weekend but it's just not going to happen. At this point, I'll be content with getting all put together for Nov/Dec for one or two more events.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds