Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Thinking of taking the plunge...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Thinking of taking the plunge...

Thinking of taking the plunge... 14 years, 4 months ago #6537

Hey all, I have been wanting to get into wheel to wheel racing for the past several years. It has been a tough choice in which class to run, but I have been torn between SpecE30, and 944 for quite a while...
As far as previous track time, I have spent the last 4-5 years doing HPDE's LapBattle/Time Trial Events and am looking to advance to the next stage of this horrible addiction.
Just recently I came across a 84' 944 for sale locally, track prepped, gutted, caged, bucket/harness, stock motor, but reworked suspension to 944 spec... I plan on going to see it tomorrow or tuesday as the price is almost too good to be true. Anything I should be looking for in particular before I make the jump?

Thanks
Eric

Re:Thinking of taking the plunge... 14 years, 4 months ago #6538

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Welcome to the group! 944 Spec is a fantastic place to start. One helpful bit of information would be telling us your location so we can get figure out what locals will be helping/teasing you.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Thinking of taking the plunge... 14 years, 4 months ago #6539

oops I should have said that. I live in Salt Lake, only 25 minute drive from Miller Motorsports park from my driveway . Originally I had intended on building my current daily/track car into a car for the Miller Small bore race class, but my car is a 2006 RSX and id hate to see it get balled up lol. I have attended NASA events in Arizona in the past, and plan on getting down again this year as I have good friends that way.
Thus my search for a 944 put me in contact with a guy selling a track prepped one for around 3k... sounded like a good deal. Unfortunately I got stuck working today and have to wait for tomorrow to see it.

Re:Thinking of taking the plunge... 14 years, 4 months ago #6543

wow 3k is pretty much the cost of a tub and cage. So it sounds like a great deal. Being in Salt Lake I would go for 944-spec since you are in the core 944 spec area and can run Rocky Mountian or Az events with a large 944 spec group.

Feel free to email me if you want specific advice.

joepaluch at qwest (dot) net

Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Thinking of taking the plunge... 14 years, 4 months ago #6544

thanks guys I am sure I will have loads of questions. I just looked at the car tonight, the exterior is immaculate actually in better shape than my 2006 acura lol.

Couple things, car didn't start... but it has been sitting in a storage shed all winter thus far with out being started. That and the fact that its below freezing, I told him I will come back in the afternoon when its warmer for a test drive.

The other thing, its not a full cage with door bars, it is a 6pt roll bar that has been custom built and welded into the chassis. Looks clean, but need to check the rulebook. I am excited will get pics of the car up when I go see it in the daylight, pics didnt come out well tonight in his storage unit.

Re:Thinking of taking the plunge... 14 years, 4 months ago #6546

if it just needs door bars those are a relativlty easy fab. The think to make sure is sound is the main hoop. You don't want to spend good money to cut that out only start over. Adding a bar or two is simple.

Focus on tube diameter, wall thickness, number of bends and foot plates.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds