Username Password: Remember me

Updated CV Bolt Kit for 944/924
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Updated CV Bolt Kit for 944/924

Updated CV Bolt Kit for 944/924 14 years, 3 months ago #6701

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Came across this on Rennlist. Sounds enticing for adding security to CV bolts and a retainer clip system to reduce need for safety wiring them (like some racers do). Not sure if it's needed at all but sounds like a good idea.

Replaces the cheesehead cv bolts with 12 point socket bolts with special designed retainer / clip system to eliminate need for safety wiring. Also these are reusable (1,100 lbs holding force).

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/924-931-9...ocking-cv-bolts.html
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Updated CV Bolt Kit for 944/924 14 years, 3 months ago #6705

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Thanks for the link. I like the looks of these. My CV bolts came completely out at Miller as I was pulling out from grid for a practice session. I coasted over to the side and was towed back to the paddock area to fine that one side was loose and the other three had loose bolts as well. LUCKY

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Updated CV Bolt Kit for 944/924 14 years, 3 months ago #6706

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Interesting... I've never had a problem with them backing out, but I have seen it happen on one of the parts cars Chuck bought a while back.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:Updated CV Bolt Kit for 944/924 14 years, 3 months ago #6707

We had to stop 3 times in our 9 hour enduro to tighten ours. These were brand new bolts, torqued 10% above spec, with locktite on them. I will either get these, or safety wire them for the future.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 14 years, 3 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Updated CV Bolt Kit for 944/924 14 years, 3 months ago #6708

I occasional have to tighten mine. The real issues is greae getting in the threads. You need to be VERY clean to ensure there is zero grease in the threads. If so they will back out. If you get them clean they won't I have use new bolt or old bolts and the key is clean.

The problem is that is very easy to get grease in there. All the CV joint grease makes it hard. Takes me about 2 q-tips per bolt hole to clean these holes out. This after soaking he bolts in cleaner and sraping all the gunk out of the treads. The real key however is when you install the 1/2 shaft put a couple bolts in and then re clean the holes. Grease can get on surface and get shoved into the clean hole by the clean bolt making mess yet again.

Even so I have still not gotten it perfect so I paint mark them. Easier to tell if they get loose.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Updated CV Bolt Kit for 944/924 14 years, 3 months ago #6709

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
This is one of those problems I've never had but others have. I'm getting a set to try them out (as it also gets rid of the need to have the Cheesehead bolts which strip quite easily). It was $117 shipped for a set of 24 plus 6 spare bolts/retainers/clips. This should eliminate the need to constantly check and frequently re-torque them down.

The guy arranging this will likely do another groupbuy in the spring but there's still time to get in on this one right now.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds