Username Password: Remember me

New to 944Spec - Texas
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to 944Spec - Texas

New to 944Spec - Texas 14 years, 1 month ago #7153

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Hey there all! I have been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks now and I like the looks of this class...considering getting back into racing after a few year layoff. Previously I ran a GProd Spitfire when I lived in San Antonio, and most recently ran a Formula Continental (at 6'1" 200+ this was interesting! ).
I am in the process of seeing what is out there and the availability of turnkey cars or project cars in my neck of the woods (Dallas). I know that 944 spec is just starting to grow in the Texas area.

I have been looking at the car build threads and a few other things. If I were to go the build route, is there a preference for early of late models? I have a line on a couple of early (83) projects in the area that they are asking $1k each (although if I picked up both likely to get them cheaper).

Looking at the rules, they seem pretty straight forward...did have a question about the timing belts. These seem to be a reliability issue. Had seen a kevlar belt, but was unsure if this was legal within the current rules.

Not sure if I will make it out there this year...would like to, but a few other toys will need to go first! at least the wife is ok with going racing again

Curt King
Rockwall, TX
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re:New to 944Spec - Texas 14 years, 1 month ago #7157

There are 3 chassis types in 944 spec.

early 83-85
Late 85.5 to 88
and 924S.

the early and 924S tend to be the lightest bare tubs. There are many theories as to why, but these year tubs tend to be easier to get to weight. The 85.5 to 88 tubs tend to take more work.

In the end we all run at 2600lbs with driver.

It seems that ever guy has a personal prefernce for which year chassis they like. There are various minor changes that some guys like and others don't. Once built and on track any year car can win races with a good driver.

As for the belts. When you build the car it is a good idea to install fresh belts and maybe a new waterpump. We run the cars hard and you don't want an old cooling system to fail. What this menas is that the belts are non-issues for us. The belts last in street use 5 years or 30k miles. Racing is no harder on the belts so they are not a concern. Once you tear into these cars you realize belts are down right simple. I run my 944 with no belt covers so I can re-tension the belts in 10 mintues at the track. I can inspect them in 10 seconds. No need to kevlar belts.

Back on the the chassis. The 83 typicaly has a manual steering rack compare to power for the other years. Many people including me like the feedback and feel from a manual rack. So this is considred a nice upgrade for most guys. Some however love powersteering and would not give that up.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:New to 944Spec - Texas 14 years, 1 month ago #7158

we worked on the rules on couple of years ago to make sure there was no better one for racing, weight is one issue, the other is 87/88 a arms are $$$ if they need new ball joints, but the 87/88 engine has the nice spring tensioner.

The #1 item is to get a car out on the track and start having fun.

If your up for a road trip RMR has cars for rent and both AZ and RMR have some great discounts for out of region drivers !

Re:New to 944Spec - Texas 14 years, 1 month ago #7239

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Thanks...still haven't decided on which direction to go yet (build vs. turn key) Need to take a look at a built car here locally...possibly this week and heading to look at an 84 tonight that would be a donor for a buid project.

If the Harley and the Drums sell quickly, may go for the turnkey and get me rear in the seat. Otherwise, I will be heading the build route. Been getting prices on cage, etc.

Looking forward to joining the fray in the future. Hope more in Texas join in as well.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
Rockwall, TX
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re:New to 944Spec - Texas 14 years ago #7270

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
looks like I am going the build route...just picked up my project car (running 87 944, no LSD) for $1300 with plenty to sell off of it. Here we go! should be interesting...probably on track at the end of the year, beginning of next year. obviously, lots to do ahead of me
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
Rockwall, TX
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re:New to 944Spec - Texas 14 years ago #7285

Curt,
Good luck. Ask questions. There is alot of knowledge here that will make building alot easiers.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds