Username Password: Remember me

Raced with PCA at HPT last weekend
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Raced with PCA at HPT last weekend

Raced with PCA at HPT last weekend 14 years, 1 month ago #7229

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I ran my first PCA race last weekend at HPT (my first race this year). I qualified near last for Race 1 and had a fun race passing slow E/D/C cars. I wound up in 7th in class out of 9 SP1 cars - but 2 were DQ'd for passing under yellow and 1 for weight so I wound up 4th.

Qualifying for Race 2 is set on the fastest lap in Race 1 and I ran the 2nd fastest SP1 lap of 1:57:102 (fastest lap was to Mark Repke of WI with a 1:54:40!). At the start of Race 2 (40 min - feature race) I botched it pretty badly and was passed by 3 SP1 cars and some of the park it in the corner E/D class cars. It took me a while but I caught up and passed 2 of the SP1 cars and several E/D class cars (one E class 944S2 crashed in 8/9 complex and landed on its roof). After the caution period was over I was then passed by another SP1 car but he wound up overheating his tires trying to catch up to 2nd place and I got past him again on the 2nd to last lap. I took 3rd but the 2nd place car was underweight so I wound up in 2nd place.

I again qualified 2nd in Race 3 and had a great start and got by a whole bunch of E/D type cars that were parking it in the corners. I had a nice scrap with Brent (from TN formerly MN) and Dale (from CO) and we were running for many laps with the proverbial blanket thrown over us. I started to get a weird vibration (especially in turn 8 at HPT - not a good corner for this to happen) and I got loose on the next lap and had a nice tankslapper that killed my momentum and 2 SP1 cars got by. I pulled off the next lap as the vibration was getting a little more pronounced. Pull into the pits and my left front tire needed to be retorqued. I learned a lesson from the DNF that after changing tires (I rotated the tires for for race 3) torque them then drive around a safe area of the pits with some swerving and then retorque the wheels. I was also awarded the PCA Rookie Award.

As I ran several races last year with the Midwest crew (though I was the main back marker). I found out my alignment was horrible - for instance my right rear tire was -4.7 camber and 1/16 toe in; and my two front tires were toe in on one side and toe out on the other. Another lesson learned. If you have an improperly lined car you will go slow.

Whether I race with NASA or PCA I do have fun. Hope to make some events with you guys this year (however family may have to move cross country).
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 14 years, 1 month ago by jaje.

Re:Raced with PCA at HPT last weekend 14 years, 1 month ago #7231

Good of you to check in, Joel.

It looks like the new alignment has made you a good deal quicker!
We had a couple of new guys through comp school for you to race with if you come out.

Mark Repka is fast - no shame in chasing him!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Raced with PCA at HPT last weekend 14 years, 1 month ago #7234

Dale ran with us 2 weeks ago at PPIR He had a great time and was right with us !

Re:Raced with PCA at HPT last weekend 14 years ago #7475

• F1rocks
  • Junior Racer
Had fun running with you J

I still say leave that scooter home next time though

I changed out my tie rods after that weekend. Both were loose, about 1/4 of movement on each! Talk about a wishy washy alignment
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds