Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Performance Friction 97 pads?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Performance Friction 97 pads?

Re:Performance Friction 97 pads? 14 years, 3 months ago #7269

Some of the caliper rebuild kits come with a template to orient the piston. I don't remember how it went offhand, but I know I found some pictures through a google search before.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Performance Friction 97 pads? 14 years, 3 months ago #7272

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
The service manual states (or at least strongly hints) that the chamfer/cutout on the piston should be oriented on the downward-facing edge of the piston, starting 20 degrees out from vertical. Looks like there's a special Porsche tool for this (I'll bet none of us are surprised by that), but you could probably use a protractor to cut out a small template, or even just bend a paper clip, at 20 degrees if you really wanted to check the position of your pistons.

I've heard that things like this are done to promote even pad wear and reduce caliper noise, but I couldn't guess/explain how that really works.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec
Last Edit: 14 years, 3 months ago by GaryM05.

Re:Performance Friction 97 pads? 14 years, 3 months ago #7273

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Gary, great information on the chamfer orientation.Thanks;) As it is coming out of the service manual, I will accept it as being THE correct information.

Of course, that means I need to redo all four corners. I set the chamfer so that it was oriented parallel to the center of the wheel rather than rotated 20 degrees out at the bottom. (At least that is what I think you were saying.)

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re:Performance Friction 97 pads? 14 years, 3 months ago #7274

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
Jim - no problem. For clarity, I'm attaching the relevant description/image from the service manual in case my description didn't do it justice.

Last Edit: 14 years, 3 months ago by GaryM05.

Re:Performance Friction 97 pads? 14 years, 3 months ago #7275

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
Here's the rear - there's no specific description in the manual that the rear is different than the front, but from the picture the rear appears to be more than 20 degrees out from the bottom (possibly because the chamfer might be bigger on the rear piston.)

Re:Performance Friction 97 pads? 14 years, 1 month ago #7685

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Bump,

Taking the calipers apart, re lubing everything, replacing the rotors and bleeding the system seemed to resolve any issues I was having.

However, this last weekend the pad on one of my front brakes separated from the backing plate... Never seen that happen. The pad still has plenty left, 1/2 inch remaining. Is there any way to reattach the pad or is it done? Does Performance Friction offer any kind of warranty from manufacture defects as I'm sure this isn't suppossed to happen? Problem is, the pads sat unused for 2 years and were purchased in '08... bleh

If I cant fix them or get them warrantied I'll probably just buy Hawk DTC's never had any issues with them...

Pictures

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds