Username Password: Remember me

Turbo bumpers?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turbo bumpers?

Turbo bumpers? 14 years ago #7444

• hopps
  • Drivers Ed
Hey guys, I'm new here, and I've read the rules and searched the forums, but I'm still confused as to whether we are allowed to run turbo bumpers or not. I'm currently in the process of purchasing a car to turn into a 944 spec car, and right now it has turbo bumpers on it. Basically I need to know if turbo bumpers and side rockers are allowed on the cars, or if I need to take them off and get rid of them as soon as I get this car (if I choose to get this one).

I don't know if 944cup is to 944-spec as Harry Potter is to *he who must not be named*, but 944cup allows turbo bumpers (as far as I have read) and I'm not sure if you guys will. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll get a car to race in the Southeast region!

Alan

Re:Turbo bumpers? 14 years ago #7446

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Turbo bumpers and related aero pieces are not allowed in 944-Spec. I know they look a lot nicer and it seems like a minor issue, but it is potentially a competitive advantage, and it's not cheap... allowing it effectively makes our racing less even and raises the cost of a fully built car.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:Turbo bumpers? 14 years ago #7447

Welcome !
we can not run turbo front ends on our cars. the question is how do they change the aero ? ?? so with out that info it's better to keep low cost equal racing by just running the free bumpers that come on (most) of our cars.

Talk with Michael and he might let you run a few events until you get the chance to change back to stock.

So as for Cup being the dark lord ... nope not at all. Cup is different, more like the Borg a couple of years ago but we worked that out.

Re:Turbo bumpers? 14 years ago #7449

Turbo bumpers mean lower drag.

the Cd of a 944 turbo is 0.33 vs 0.35 for the 944 NA. Some of that is due to the turbo nose and some probably due to the rear diffuser under tray. Both of which are not 944 spec legal. It is a small thing on track, but we want to minize aero changes to do what we can keep the playing field as level as possible. Of course we allow the 924S with also has a 0.33 Cd as quoted by the factory. However you must pay price with this as the track is also slightly narrower. In the end it makes more sense to allow the 924S since it mechanically identical to the 944 with the only differences being the narrow fenders & track.

Race results have shown the 924S to be equal to the 944 on the track. So this was a good idea creating a significantly larger pool of donor cars for the class.

So go back to a stock 944 NA front end. Aftermarket spoliers are legal so long as they look exactly like stock. Stock are made from a rubber type material and are somewhat flexible. You can also get fiberglass replacements. New vs New they are 1/4 the cost and are legal if the look identical to stock NA units. The factory ones are more durabale however and with some creativity can be repaired. I put my car into a tire wall and was able to repair the factory spoiler. After 25 years is mostly held together with "repair patches", but does the job.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years ago by joepaluch.

Re:Turbo bumpers? 14 years ago #7451

Alan, while I would prefer that you have the correct bumpers on your car before your first race, I am not going to run you off if you show up for an event without them. I would ask though that you would have the car right by the second event. With that said, find someone who is interested in buying some turbo bumpers and throwing in their N/A pieces for a slight discount.
We are still in a growth stage and every competitor we can get, only helps to make the class stronger.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion
Last Edit: 14 years ago by mcmmotorsports.

Re:Turbo bumpers? 14 years ago #7452

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Yeah, much of the stuff that's not legal for 944-Spec is worth enough money to the general 944 enthusiast to buy you a legal replacement, and give you a few extra bucks too. Fuch wheels are another example of that.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds