Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

If 944Spec Were a Beer...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: If 944Spec Were a Beer...

If 944Spec Were a Beer... 13 years, 11 months ago #7659

...What sort of beer would it be?

I've taken up homebrewing, and would like to plan a beer in honor of our race series and our cars. I can make it whatever I want (within reason) but would like to do something that I could share with guys at the end of the season.

One note, I'm not currently able to brew lagers because of temperature constraints. Maybe in the winter, but probably not. So I'd like to make it an ale.

So... Either German or Californian/American style. Something relatively light, not too high alcohol. Fairly stout body though. Generally strait forward in flavor, no added spices or anything.

I'm leaning towards dry-ish and smooth, not too sweet or bitter.

Perhaps a dark German Weissbier? Or some sort of amber ale. Or a blending of the two: a german-like grain bill brewed with a California yeast and mix of American and German hops; or a Californian grain bill brewed with a German yeast and hops. The latter could use a lager yeast, and be made as a California Common "steam beer" akin to Anchor Steam (only better).
Last Edit: 13 years, 11 months ago by Salanis42.

Re:If 944Spec Were a Beer... 13 years, 11 months ago #7662

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Given your climate how about a Hoegaarden knockoff?

Wish I was close enough to help with quality control.
'JB'

Re:If 944Spec Were a Beer... 13 years, 11 months ago #7666

No idea how to help, but it sounds GREAT !

Re:If 944Spec Were a Beer... 13 years, 11 months ago #7670

JB3 wrote:
Given your climate how about a Hoegaarden knockoff?

Wish I was close enough to help with quality control.

I'd be happy to share with any racers nearby.

I could do something like a Hoegaarden knockoff. Actually, that's not a bad fit.

Hanging out at the brewery supply shop, I'm thinking the beer will make judicious use of Victory malt, and maybe some Smoked German malt too. I think that's the right character.

Re:If 944Spec Were a Beer... 13 years, 11 months ago #7677

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
I am originally from that area (Rocklin)... which brewer's shop do you use?

That brew sounds good! I used to brew as well...mainly when I was stationed in the UK and in Omaha.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re:If 944Spec Were a Beer... 13 years, 11 months ago #7684

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Ok, now the bar has been set. Here in RM we bring beer/ kegs hot dogs/brats, smores (pronounced Schmorez), and build huge fires etc, but haven't explored making beer... yet.

Too bad no Lagers otherwise I'd say a Dunkel. Smooth and not heavy, like our cars handling, yet complex enough that they keep you interested.

So how about a Gose? Unfiltered and raw, like our style of racing and drivers. The multitude of flavors and options of spices can represent the wide variety of interesting participants in our class.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds