Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

What makes a Spec car faster (and slower)?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: What makes a Spec car faster (and slower)?

Re: What makes a Spec car faster (and slower)? 13 years, 9 months ago #8378

please send me the tm info that you have weights for. lets see if i can pull use full data from it.

at our last event I was able to nail Dirks's power dead on using TM vs nationals dyno.

Re: What makes a Spec car faster (and slower)? 13 years, 9 months ago #8379

Here's the dyno of my car - you can see the choppy HP curve. The 3 pulls varied by about 5 HP, as well.

sterlingdoc.smugmug.com/Other/Web-pics/E...47085642_iy3Ug-L.jpg
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: What makes a Spec car faster (and slower)? 13 years, 9 months ago #8380

Will do, Chuck
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: What makes a Spec car faster (and slower)? 13 years, 9 months ago #8382

• Big Dog
  • Banned
My car (the gold 13) was on the dyno at Nats in 2009 five or six times. That dyno gave various numbers from a low of 118 to a high of 128 or so (it could have gotten to 132 on one run but I don't remember exactly).

That portable dyno seems to be very unreliable from everything I saw. To have a 5 HP difference in one set of runs seems to be too large of a variable.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: What makes a Spec car faster (and slower)? 13 years, 9 months ago #8385

Here's some interesting data (linked below) - The TM plots of our fast guy, a mid packer, and newbie. Look in particular at how the slow guys brake in a straight line, and then turn. The faster guy eases off the brakes, and the braking zones overlap where the lateral G's build (trail braking). You can see the lateral G's flatten out as early as .8G (indicting sliding) where the slower guys abruptly let off the brakes right when turn in starts. While the car feels "at the limit", the faster driver can expand the envelope by keeping weight on the front tires as he turns in, reaching 1.1g. The new guy complained his car understeered going into corner, while others who drove his car felt it was pretty neutral. The TM plot explains why. He would unload the front tires, just as he turned in. So his car would understeer, but it was driver induced. His cars handling improved once this was pointed out, without changing a thing on the car.

Look a the TM data linked below in full size to see the detial. Each colored line represents one driver. Looking at this data, the slower guys were able to find about 2 seconds each that weekend. This is a useful thing to go through to see why particular drivers are fast. Is their car blazing down the straights, or is the time made in the corners?

sterlingdoc.smugmug.com/Other/Web-pics/P...48332681_u7Tzb-O.jpg
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 9 months ago by Sterling Doc. Reason: Clarification

Re: What makes a Spec car faster (and slower)? 13 years, 9 months ago #8386

• Big Dog
  • Banned
You cheating bastards, studying data and learning about trail braking. That amounts like DRIVER COACHING and, clearly, is against the spirit of our series - Low Cost, Slow Speed, Equal Racing.

Philosophically you guys have just got to stop this or you will tear our series apart. If you want to race like that, go to some other series because NO HERE.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds