Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Low cost tips thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Low cost tips thread

Re: Low cost tips thread 13 years, 8 months ago #8868

I dont have any pictures but next time I do it I'll take some. There are lasers that project a point and lasers that project a line, you need the later. That laser sitting on a bucket or anything convenient will draw a line on a plane. This will show on the ground and on anything that intersects that plane. By holding a tape measure horizontally in the air you can measure distance from this plane to anything: like the front and rear of the wheel to measure angle relative to the line. With one laser on each side, a tape measure, and a plumb bob you can easily square your two laser "strings" to the car and allow measuring toe to the thrust angle.

I used to do strings, but I kept bumping into them and then would have to sit there and reset them

Oh...find a buddy with a welder and make alignment stands! I made four stands that hold the car up on its wheels. The stands have threaded rod "feet" to allow me to level them all together. You do this once and mark everything and you dont have to do it again. This allows you to make adjustments under the car without having to move it. My buckets have a flat sheet of steel for the surface the tire sits on. I put another piece of sheet on it with oil between the two and now the tire can move without friction. Mark the two plates and you can easily measure steering angle, camber at two different angles to calculate caster. lol fun stuff!!
NASA Texas Competition Director
Texas 944Spec Director
National CMC Director

Re: Low cost tips thread 13 years, 8 months ago #8885

Thanks, Al - get some pics when you can - sounds great.

Here's another slightly off-the wall tip.

http://www.raceimage.com/store.asp?searc...Suits, Helmets, etc.

Find some driver in your size, and get a great deal on high quality used racing equipment. While you can buy Boris Said's firesuit, some of the less famous guy's gear is a better bargian.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 8 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds