Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Low cost tips thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Low cost tips thread

Re: Low cost tips thread 13 years, 8 months ago #8825

I set-up the strings and then use a tape measure to go from the string to the wheel. I measure toe to 1/16" this way. I had been using jack stands, but they take time to set-up.

How do I use a laser to do the samething?

Wait. Do you use the laser to shot beam. Then use like steel ruler to off the wheel and find where the laser beam hit the ruler. That than becomes the distance? So maybe 5" at rear of the wheel and 5 1/16" at the front of rear wheel so toe is 1/16" in? Hmm might be faster than stings.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Low cost tips thread 13 years, 8 months ago #8827

Good stuff guys!

I too, am interested on the laser approach.

I'll be off to Home Depot to make my own water level. I'll mark spots in my garage, and make shims for a removable/reusable level spot.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Low cost tips thread 13 years, 8 months ago #8830

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I use the thin cheap 12" floor tiles as shims for my scales. You can put two with smooth faces together and some grease as a slip device or turn plates.
I spent some extra bucks and bought an 8' level from Home Depot for $100 since I did not know about the water level.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Low cost tips thread 13 years, 8 months ago #8844

I have a ~ $30 laser level that I used to set up four points in the garage that are surprisingly level side to side but not on the same plane. I got everything leveled on a plane using shims then I then spray painted the outline of my scale shims (wood pieces) in those spots and labeled the shims so I can repeat the setup. I do have computer scales.

I like -3.25 to -3.5 front, -2.5 rear camber. 0 to 1/8" toe out front and 1/8" rear. Max caster I can get. My car tends to be slightly tail happy which is how I like it. I am slow when it understeers.

I use a caster/camber "bubble" type gauge and toe plates. I've found over the years that I've never seen my thrust angle go off so I haven't worried about stringing the car.

I've found that in my car, my considerable 250LB weight in the driver's seat has virtually no effect to alignment (very small LF camber change). Obviously I scale with weight in the seat, coolsuit etc.

I had my alignment checked this year by a pro system and it exactly repeated my garage setup.

Re: Low cost tips thread 13 years, 8 months ago #8847

One more critical alignment step - I always align the car with race tire pressures (hot) and after it rolls out of the trailer without lifting it (as raced).

Tire pressures definitely make a difference.

It takes considerable rolling and bouncing to completely settle the suspension after lifting. The differences are generally small vs. not lifting but they exist. Obviously you have no choice if you have to change something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sterling Doc

Re: Low cost tips thread 13 years, 8 months ago #8860

Never mind
Last Edit: 13 years, 8 months ago by johnstahl.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds