Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Pursue a Brake Pad Sponsor?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pursue a Brake Pad Sponsor?

Pursue a Brake Pad Sponsor? 13 years, 8 months ago #8871

In looking for sponsors and ways to decrease cost, I've had some preliminary discussions with representatives from Hawk. They are interested in becoming the spec'd brake pad for 944 Spec, and giving us a break on prices in return.

Using their deal with Spec 3 as an example, a compound was chosen, and a specifically marked pad was made for Spec 3, and sold at large (>30%) discount over the regular DTC pad retial price. They would do this for 944 Spec, and use whatever pad compound(s) we choose. The percentage discount on Blues would be less than the pricier DTC's but could still save us some money.

Let me be clear about one thing. This is not a rules proposal this year. If there is interest, I can pursue this further, and consider making the Spec pad go into effect in 2012. Of course we'd have to decide on what pads, do some testing, etc., but before I go down that road, is it worth it?

Other national sponsors are hard to come by for our 20+ year old car, and limited aftermarket parts, but I'm always open to ideas!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Pursue a Brake Pad Sponsor? 13 years, 8 months ago #8872

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Sounds like a "Low Cost" issue and would be good to persue. However I'd like to see some options in the compisition of the spec'ed pad.

(e.g. some run all hawk blues and some like to run blues in the front and a lesser hawk pad in the rear to aid in avoiding rear lockup)
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Last Edit: 13 years, 8 months ago by JerryW. Reason: spilling

Re: Pursue a Brake Pad Sponsor? 13 years, 8 months ago #8873

I'm extremely happy with Carbotech and I've found them to be willing to work with me in the past on quantity discounts. They might be worth pursuing.

I haven't tried Hawk pads.

Whether perceived or reality, driver/car or brake pads, I seem to have a braking advantage in my region with the Carbotechs.

That said, I have no problem with a spec pad for all if it saves us all money. I assume their contigencies would still be valid as well?

Re: Pursue a Brake Pad Sponsor? 13 years, 8 months ago #8876

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
I certainly appreciate the thought and effort at bringing in sponsors and lowering the cost of racing, but I personally don't think that a spec brake pad is the right place to pursue this, for a few reasons:

- Different people have different preferences in what they look for in a pad - torque build-up, release, 'feel', cost, etc. I don't think that a brake pad compound (or even manufacturer across all of their offerings) can be a 'one size fits all' situation. For example, a lot of guys swear by Hawk Blues, but I personally can't stand them.

- For somebody just starting out, telling them that they have to run one particular brake pad can just add to the initial cost of a build. Whereas before it would be possible to get by for your first few events on a lower-cost pad (even a street compound could work with these cars, for a while, just to get you out on track), we would now be telling someone that they had to add to their initial build cost in order to be 'in-spec'.

- Our cars are so ridiculously easy on brake pads that this isn't something that we really have to replace that often, which minimizes the long-term cost savings of something like this.

Again, I appreciate the effort to think beyond our current sponsors and lower the cost, even though I'm not personally in favor of this particular idea.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec
Last Edit: 13 years, 8 months ago by GaryM05.

Re: Pursue a Brake Pad Sponsor? 13 years, 8 months ago #8887

The real key will be cost. I have run Hawk Blues for years. At a time before I started racing I ran a street pad. I Metalmasters in fact. Even in DE I overdid those. I then moved to KFP Gold's nice street/track pad. I eventually over heated those too. However those pads were no cheaper than the Hawk blues.

I believe my Hawk Blue price point is $125 or $140 for the fronts. I would not want to spend more than that for and spec pad. Rears are similar. I have never had to worry about rear lock up using blues front and rear.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Pursue a Brake Pad Sponsor? 13 years, 8 months ago #8893

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
First off this is the type of low cost discussions that can be of benefit to the class.

I for one have been running on Carbotech and have been very happy. Why not contact them as well. That being said I am open to change if costs can be reduced on a wear item such as brakes. Tires would also be helpful along with looking into oil.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds