Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

What is the biggest seat you can put in a 944/924S
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: What is the biggest seat you can put in a 944/924S

What is the biggest seat you can put in a 944/924S 13 years, 5 months ago #9651

• Fooshe
  • Comp School
So I am inches away from getting into this class, but need a huge seat to do it. I'm talkin' Evo 3 or Recaro Profi XL kind of size.

Will they fit in the chassis?

Anyone know how many inches (exactly) there is to work with?

Thanks!

Re: What is the biggest seat you can put in a 944/924S 13 years, 5 months ago #9653

We have drivers who are 6' 4" in the class. We also have some wide drivers too. The 944 has large area for a seat and I think you can get any seat to fit. The challege will be that larger drivers will probably need a custom cage. Most bolt-ins are too much of a compromise.

Also drivers over 250lbs may have a very hard time getting to min weight. Best to pick an early chassis (83-85) or 924S as these tubs tend to be lighter than the later ones.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fooshe

Re: What is the biggest seat you can put in a 944/924S 13 years, 5 months ago #9660

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
I am 6'3" and getting the seat in the car 1985.5 was not a serious problem. The trick is the cage in that finding one that is high enough. I bought my car from Tim Comeau ( Comeau Racing) see add on the side of the page and the cage he had put into the car was high enough. If the car has a sun roof be carfull to have enough of the support material removed because of my height it is a little tight.

Re: What is the biggest seat you can put in a 944/924S 13 years, 5 months ago #9663

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
My current racecar has an XL "Racers Group"? seat from the previous owner. It's way too big for me "160lbs, 6ft" when it was first mounted it was so low I couldn't see over the steering wheel. There's plenty of room in these cabins for much larger drivers.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re: What is the biggest seat you can put in a 944/924S 13 years, 5 months ago #9669

• Fooshe
  • Comp School
Well, perhaps I should clarify the issue...It's not the height of the tree, it's the girth of the trunk! I am something like 5' 11", 310 lbs. I played college football as a center, so the shoulders are wide and the old food tumor doesn't help.

I know Tim and have talked with him on several topics. Perhaps he will have some input of value.

Re: What is the biggest seat you can put in a 944/924S 13 years, 5 months ago #9670

Fooshe wrote:
Well, perhaps I should clarify the issue...It's not the height of the tree, it's the girth of the trunk! I am something like 5' 11", 310 lbs. I played college football as a center, so the shoulders are wide and the old food tumor doesn't help.

I know Tim and have talked with him on several topics. Perhaps he will have some input of value.

If you find a seat that fits you will be fine. It will fit in the car. Cage could be an issue so custom may be required.

Your issue however will be meeting 2600lbs with driver. That is where a 310lbs driver will have a challenge. Best bet is to look for an early chassis and it will probably need time strip the undercoating and remove bondo. I have seen cars remove 20-30lbs of bondo before. You will have to pull out all the stops and may still be over min weight. If you can get to 2650lbs with driver you have done a very good job and it will have minimal effect on track.

Remember the 2600lbs is reasonalbe weight since the ligther guys often have to add ballast to make weight and the bigger guys need to work hard to get to min.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds