Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Perplexing Dyno Results
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Perplexing Dyno Results

Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19512

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
As a follow-up to my WSC experience post, I thought I'd share my dyno sheets with the group for a couple of reasons. One, for transparency to support my previous statements on the numbers I observed this past weekend and two, in case anyone has insight on what this might mean as I'm at a loss.

In the dropbox location linked below, I am sharing dyno results from MCE as follows:
Within 944 spec limits:
May 17, 2015 - Auto Club Speedway
July 31, 2015 - Laguna Seca

No changes were made to the car between July 31 - August 2nd.

Outside 944 spec limits:
August 2, 2015 - Laguna Seca
August 2, 2015 - Laguna Seca #2

There's also a comparison between the Friday run and the first Sunday run:
August 2, 2015 - Laguna Seca Friday vs Sunday

www.dropbox.com/sh/z491lky94gj6rv5/AADrc...twZiKix2dNUljua?dl=0

If there are any dyno guru's out there that can help shed some light on the above I'd appreciate it as I'm starting from ground 0 in terms of dyno knowledge here. The only uninformed observation I'm able to make is, the runs that look "squigglier" result in lower power vs the smoother looking runs. I also observed the same when seeing Dan's runs where he produced similar numbers just in the opposite order (high on Friday, low on Sunday).

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by afonseca.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19518

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
I was sorry to see your DQ from the championship race. I know you worked hard to get to the west coast nationals. As it relates to the dyne issue I am no expert but also experienced some issues with the dyno Less than a month prior to nationals we dyno the car to make sure things were optimized for the rules in 944 and GTS1 . In GTS 1 we where using a late DME and got 145 HP on Saturday we were tested after the qualifying race mid afternoon in GTS and recorded a 132 HP. The next morning we went to the dyno and worked to get the best settings and measured at best a 143 HP. Sunday afternoon after the championship race we were required to dyno again and registered at 136 HP. I can not explain why but that seems to be a large variance over a short period of time. I know this does not answer your questions but at least you know that you were not the only person experiencing the issue at hand.

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19520

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I am bummed you were DQ'd. You worked hard all weekend to get and stay fast.
I lost my 3rd place in E30 for the same problem at Laguna. My car dynoed ar 155 all weekend at then 162 after the main race on Sunday. The only change I made was a new cap and rotor on Sunday am. Cant believe that would make a 7hp difference.
The dynos have been a source of problems since we started using them but it is still currently our best option.
Some cars dynoed the same all weekend, some higher and some lower. Never seems to be a sure thing for me.
AIM is working on a system that they were testing at Laguna that may be used for compliance someday.
I know we used a similar system at Miller in 2013 I believe.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19521

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
You and me both were bummed. I felt solid improvement over the weekend and was excited about a good outcome Sunday. I ran solid second all race in GTS, alas ended in disappointment
Having the transmission pop out of 3rd gear in turns 2-3 and 5 made for very challenging racing. It ruined any podium chances in the 944 race but just wore me out in the GTS race I had to steer with one hand in 2-3 and 5 while using my right hand to hold the gear in place.

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19522

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
Wow, I didn't realize you two were DQ'd as well. That's just more disappointment and I'm very sorry to hear that.

It really makes me wonder, are dyno's just that unreliable? I mean, a ~17 HP variance in my case using the same MCE setup is pretty extreme. Is there something wrong with the MCE dyno or is it not being set up properly by the operator between tests? Just questions that pop into my head thinking about the heartbreak that thing has caused just in our group.

If that's our best option currently maybe the dyno itself needs to be tested for calibration over the course of the race weekend.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19524

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
All of those are pretty large variances that seem like something is up. Without seeing more data from a larger set of cars, all we can do is figure something is going on with the car, and not the dyno.

I will say that at Eastern Champs last year, we had an issue with the correction box which was getting baked by the 100 degree heat throwing off the corrected readings. My car seemed to be stable and consistent run to run on its readings and I seem to remember most everyone elses was too.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds