Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

944 Spec Nationals Commandments
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 944 Spec Nationals Commandments

944 Spec Nationals Commandments 12 years, 8 months ago #11369

1. Thou shalt act as a sportsman throughout the event, or thou shalt be banished to the end of the grid, or worse, excommunicated!
2. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's 944 Spec, as they are all of a like kind.
3. Thou shalt not commit fratricide on another brother's 944. All intentional, or careless carnage will be dealt with swiftly, and with great malice!
4. Thou shalt help another brother in need of help, or mechanical bits.
5. Thou shalt keep of video record of all ones on track follies & exploits. Those who forgo this, will do so at the peril of not having their side of the tale heard.
6. Thou shalt be on time to meetings, or designate a proxy in your stead, lest you be an ignorant fool!
7. Thou shalt be on grid with a score (10) minutes to spare, lest you be held to start from the back, with the peasants.
8. Thou shalt be legal, and fully advised of the 944 Spec Scrolls. And likewise, thou shalt not whine.
9. Thou shalt bring forth one's best effort to prepare thy steed, so that it may serve you reliably, and race with a joyful, well-oiled heart.
10. At this event of sport, to the victor go the spoils.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 8 months ago by Sterling Doc.
The topic has been locked.

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Commandments 12 years, 8 months ago #11370

Let me also add, that it is my expectation, that everyone will be using standard pump gas. Please don't be the one to force the rule to use expensive "Spec" gas at the racetrack like Spec Miata, and SE30! It is not what you want to be remembered for!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Commandments 12 years, 8 months ago #11380

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I have a question about the fuel.

Is any pump gas acceptable? Or are you talking about any pump gas at the track? Maximum octane rating? Need more info on this so you can avoid issues.

Are we bypassing the NASA rules for being at the grid? Some dont like or want to be that early to the grid. I personally do not want to sit in my car in the sun for that long if the vehicle is not moving. Then if there is any delays it compounds on its self.
May want to reconsider that one. It should be the drivers choice as long as he is there before the cutoff determined by NASA.

I do like the idea of having video in every car.

Will they be using the Traqmate system again this year? Inquiring minds want to know. I thought it worked out well last year.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Commandments 12 years, 8 months ago #11381

Charlie,

These are not supplemental rules. It is meant to be a guide to the spirit of the class, and how I wil look at things, and interpret the existing rules at Nationals.

SM & SE30 have adopted a supplemental rule on using the pump gas at the track, enforced by fuel sampling. This adds cost, and I would rather not go there, but if racers start showing up with exotic fuels to make more power, expect to see this in the rules discussion for next year. Any standard pump gas, from a regular drive-in public station fits my intent. I will not have grounds to DQ somebody over this, but keep in mind the consequences of your actions to the class should you pursue this. I may ask about what fuel a competitor is using, and I expect a straight answer, as a fellow sportsman. This is meant to be proactive, not punitive.

The grid at Mid-O is very congested. It is very easy to get caught out, and NASA is much more strict about being on time, to keep things on schedule. Racers often got caught out about this in previous years, and had to start from the back of the field. I can't babysit 20 racers, hence my urging to get there early. Also, I don't want our class clogging things up for other racers who have a mechanical, or other urgent situation that they must get to grid last minute. Also, there is no need to sit in your car on grid. Get your car there a bit early, and walk around & talk to your competitors for a bit. When the 5 minute warning comes, think of getting into your car then. Nothing in the "Commandments" specifies sitting in your car. S.O.P. is a bit different here than a standard regional race, so it is important to be more attentive to getting to grid.

Traqmate will be there, and any car might be subject to having one put it in. Cars will also be put on the dyno for various reasons - checking computers, rev limits, and gathering data on current levels of power output. Nationals is something of a barometer for what is going on in the class.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Commandments 12 years, 8 months ago #11382

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Thank you for the clarifications Eric.

Even though I wont be there it raised concerns about clarification of the supplemental rules/requests.

I have never been to Mid-O so I did not understand the issue with the grid.

Thanks again and have a great time and a successful event.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Commandments 12 years, 8 months ago #11383

Charlie, no problem. Others may well have had similar questions, and I have no problem explaining things as I see them.

I should further clarify one more thing from your question. The 10 minutes to grid is a guideline. NASA will close grid one mintue before the start, but if you are caught in a line of traffic waiting to get into grid, your out of luck. I will not personally make someone who gets there less than 10 minutes early start from the back, which was not clear from my oringinal post - thanks for pointing that out.

------------------------------------

I fully expect that racers will make every effort to be competitive, especially at Nationals, as it should be. I don't want this to rise to a level that racers are actively seeking gray areas or loopholes in the rules to exploit. In SM, it seems that bending the rules is an art form that is expected, if not completely condoned. I'd like to think we are still different in this regard, as a class. Bring your best game to a level playing field, see who comes out on top. One aspect of competing well, is preparing well, and at a National level the details matter - car prep & optomization, mental prep, etc.

Another issue in past Nationals has been efforts to manipulate the payout./contingencies. While I understand the motives behind attempting that, it is not workable within the current system d/t tax issues, etc., and I want to be clear, that we will be going by the book with regard to this, when it comes to Nationals.

My motivation to post all this is to make things as clear as possible going into Nationals, so all know what to expect, and things go as smoothly as possible, and we not repeat some issues we've had in years past. Less stress/worries = more fun, which is ultimately what all do this for.

I'd encourage any and all questions going into this be posted up, to settle or clarify things ahead of time.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds